Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Too big for a 3-4 yr old?

vvsloan

Hi everyone,

I have decided to get my boy some binoculars to take with us on our hols, both for his enjoyment and so he can join in with me and to stop him trying to steal mine. For him they will be for animal/landscape aswel as astro use. Now I've never seen nor handled anything smaller than my Rev Astro 15x70's and I was wondering if anyone could give their opinion as whether some 10x50's would be too difficult and unwieldy for him? 

Its between the Celestron 8x40's (680 grams) and the 10x50's (765 grams).  My instinct is that some 10x50's would be a bit unwieldy for a (big) nearly 4 yr old and the 8x40's would be more suitable both in terms of size/weight and for getting used to using binoculars. The apparant FOV in the 8x40's is 8.2 degrees and 6.8 on the 10x50's so best to go in with the smaller ones and let him get used to them?

Anyone with kids who could offer some advice based on experience? 

Only the price difference is pretty negligible with a bit of google digging, but its not all about the price is it.? If he cant really handle the 10x50's it would just put him off it instead of sparking an interest which is what I hope to do. It was a struggle trying to show him a bit of night sky on my monopod mounted 15/70's as I wouldnt let him hold them on his own then he struggled to see anything/use them tussling between us, then I was telling him off for grabbing the actual bins and in the end he lost interest and walked off back inside.

I want him to be able to hold and manage a pair on his own (that are cheap enough not to cry over, in the likely event event of a breakage, given his age). Actually whilst writing this I think I've answered my own question;

A (not even yet) 4 year old- Definately the smaller, lighter ones with a larger Afov? Right? (even tho its only a fiver more for the 10x50's......)

Many thanks for any thoughts, advice and experience,

Victoria.

I am sure there are some low power binoculars specifically for kids. They are around 6x or something. I have a 4 year old and I don't think I would be comfortable giving her any of my binoculars. At 4 they don't understand the concept of gentle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002SXMH44/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1391621418&sr=8-14π=AC_SX110_SY165

The link above is for kids binos that seem to be designed to take a few bumps.

To encourage my lads into astronomy, and chance to 'stargaze with dad' without being pushing it on them, I got my two lads (aged 10 and 11) a pair of Helios 8x22 and 8x25 birding bins each for when we went on holiday to Spain. They loved them. V light, with nice views. Spend about £25 on each pair. Not toys, but not so expensive its a catastrophe if (when) they drop them. I keep the 8x25 pair in the car, and they're fun for playing spys (the boys not me!) 

Thanks all. 

Found these for £20 quid http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-Junior-Children-Binoculars-6x21/dp/B001UJJG46/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Proper bins and look good but still the same price as the 8x40's I was gonna get!

(these, froma different seller:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Upclose-Porro-Bino-8X40/dp/B006ZN4WOQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391623544&sr=1-3&keywords=Celestron+Upclose+G2+Porro+Bino

and tbh, the rubber coating in the 8x40's looks at least as substantial as the kiddie Bresser ones? What do you think?

Thanks all. 

Found these for £20 quid http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-Junior-Children-Binoculars-6x21/dp/B001UJJG46/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Proper bins and look good but still the same price as the 8x40's I was gonna get!

(these, froma different seller:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Upclose-Porro-Bino-8X40/dp/B006ZN4WOQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391623544&sr=1-3&keywords=Celestron+Upclose+G2+Porro+Bino

and tbh, the rubber coating in the 8x40's looks at least as substantial as the kiddie Bresser ones? What do you think?

There's a 'newer' version of the Celestron G2's on Amazon for about £32. I know because I've been keeping an eye on some for myself.... the Amazon vendors have given broadly good reviews.....

Found some Bresser Hunter's 10x25 for £10 :)  Cant go wrong at all with that and I'm sure a (nearly) 4 year old  will be made up with that. No point getting something more powerful but that's massive and unwieldy if he cant use them or get any joy out of them. 

Thanks to all for your comments and advice,

Vic.

Vic, if it's not too late, please think again: a 3-4 year old will not be able to hold a 10x steadily (many adults can't!). Drop to something like 6x for that age.

Well there's a spanner in the works.....and already ordered the 10x25's.

Never mind, good job they were only a tenner. I was actually wanting the Bresser Junior 8x32 (17.99), which sound really great but out of stock everywhere so went for the 10x25's. 

As I want him to actually be able to use and enjoy them, I'll order the Bresser Kiddie 6x21's then for now. If he shows or retains an interest and enjoyment with them, I will upgrade him when ready to the Bresser junior 8x32's when he's ready....

In the meantime, I can keep the 10x25's, and if I find I dont want them, when we get to Zambia in a fortnight I'll be in the perfect location to sell them on. 

Thanks for the advice Steve.

Vic, if it's not too late, please think again: a 3-4 year old will not be able to hold a 10x steadily (many adults can't!). Drop to something like 6x for that age.

Just want to sat thanks again Steve (if you're reading this:)) for advising the 6x.

Both the 6x21 and the 10x25 arrived today; and yes, the 10x25 would have been totally rubbish for him but he's absolutely in love with his kiddie bresser's. Hasnt put them down all day, been 'spying' everything he could possibly spy, so thank you :)

Archived