NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a DSLR in B&W mode?

Stargazer33

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to use a DSLR in black and white mode and then use either LRGB filters or narrow band filters to build up a colour image?

Reason being is that I am thinking of buying a dedicated astro camera. Probably the ZWO ASI120MM or MC. I didn't want to buy the MC if I would soon regret not buying the MM due to the limiting possibilities of a colour camera, but I didn't want to buy the MM if faffing about with filters was going to be too much for me.

It then occurred to me that if it would work, I could experiment with my DSLR in B&W mode then I could see if I have the patience to go mono.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Briefly put, an OSC camera is always and only an OSC camera because the colour filters are fixed over the pixels. Ignoring the colour data doesn't alter the fact that only about a third of the incident light actually reaches the chip. (A colour filter blocks about 2/3 of the light, green blocking blue and red, etc etc.)  A luminance filter passes all the visible light without distinguishing between colours, so it is faster.

Olly

Thanks Peter, Olly, yet again my search failed to find the relevant post!

I thought there must be some reason you couln't do it, or it would have been all over the forum.

I guess I'm just going to have to make a choice as to whether I get the colour or mono ZWO camera.

Thanks again.

Archived