Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C6/C8 portability

You are effectively halving the light gather, so if you go hunting those dim bits then it will.

For portability not really sure, the weight goes down and the OTA is a bit shorter and narrower, but the mount would be unchanged. So if the mount is 2/3 of the weight then not really a great change.

the c6 is only 2" shorter and 2lbs lighter  so its not a huge saving if you are looking for something to carry a fair distance. the c5 however is a lot more portable but you do lose a lot of light grasp. I wouldn't go down to a c6 from a c8 if i was looking for portability there really isn't that much in it.

If you intend to keep the 8 inch I would take the opportunity to get a totally different kind of instrument capable of giving you a different experience rather just a moderately inferior but portable one! So I'd go for a portable refractor, probably on an al az mount for visual. WIth a short focal length this would give you widefeild views not possible in the very long focal lengths of the catadioptrics.

For a long time I had an 8 then 10 inch SCT and an old 4 inch F5 Genesis. They complemented each other perfectly. The Genesis could open out to a 4 degree FOV. Fabulous.

It seems a shame, to me, to have a small scope of long focal length because the thing that small scopes do best, and only small scopes can do at all, is widefield. But, to do it, they must have a short focal length.

Olly

If you intend to keep the 8 inch I would take the opportunity to get a totally different kind of instrument capable of giving you a different experience.

This is the reason I got the ST80 as a portable DSO grab and go.

I've got a C8 and my son a C6, I got him the 6 to take with him to Uni, yes it is more portable but still a bit bulky. To be honest though I get more use from my WOZ 66 and Equinox 80 refractors.

Archived