NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with focusing

valvenus

hi i recently bought a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 CCD web camera with telescope adapter for astronomy i focus whatever im looking at in the scope but when i put the cam in i cannot see what im seeing in the scope as everything is just  blurry i am using sharpcap2 but haven't a clue what settings im suppose to use any ideas anyone ??  this is all im seeing post-33044-0-98104000-1391358558_thumb.p

I'm not at all surprised that the EP and webcam are not parfocal. Can  I suggest that you use the EP to focus and centre a distant light (at night) of a high contrast daytime object (e.g. a church spire against a bright sky) and then replace the EP with the webcam and then adjust the focus until you can see the object. This way you can measure the difference in the two focus positions so that you can allow for this in future.

Thanks for your help should I be just be using the scope to focus the webcam in or do I have to mess about with the settings on the  sharpcap2  software ?

You need to focus the telescope, the capture software won't do that for you. Once you have a sharp image then you can start adjusting the capture settings.

Im having a similar problem with sharpcap2 and a phillips sp900, But I try and focus the telescope with the web camera in it still doesnt find Jupiter. Ive doubled checked and put a lens back in to make sure jupiter hasnt moved out of the field of view but its still there!

Trying to work out if its something to do with a new laptop.

Or is there a basic setting that Ive missed

Archived