Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A cheaper way to automate a dome?

mal-j

Hi all,

Does anyone know a way which will allow my dome to follow my telescope when slewing via my computer automatically?

I have a Pulsar 2.2mtr observatory (still in sections awaiting assembly) which I bought secondhand and includes the dome and shutter drives.

I could buy the 'dome tracker' from Pulsar which would do this but would cost nearly £900!

Is there another means of doing this without costing so much? I see that the Ascom platform has a dome control but not sure it would work.

I'm not very technically minded though so nothing too complex please. Thanks.

Malcolm

If you do a search on here you'll find links to one DIY system for power rotating but I don't think that it's automatic slewing to the scope.  Also see:  http://geoastro.co.uk/dome_warn.htm and videos on Youtube.

'New Forest Observatory' has an automated system on a 2.7m dome, closer to what you have in mind.  See this link:  http://astro.neutral.org/astronomy_blog/blog/item/2011/08/automatic-computerized-telescope-dome-rotator-at-the-nfo

The Shelyak might work depending on the design of your Pulsar dome. The new dome design allows it, and the drives, to be mounted to the base - the old design means the drive unit/motors must be mounted to the dome (and hence battery powered). I guess you could use it on the old design but would need wireless serial connection to it or some kind of flying lead.

Steve1962s solution allows slaving on the old design.

Archived