Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Setup-time

Jim Steele

Depends where you start from?<br />

if starting from scratch its takes a couple of minutes to fit the head to the tripod and attach the spreader plate.<br />

if you mark the position of the weights and ota dovetail from last use it takes a couple of minutes again to fit the weights /ota.<br />

Polar alignment takes seconds for visual or quite some time for imaging :-)

I have had an EQ5 for over a year now & all I do is plonk it down, set the 'N' leg to North with Polaris or use a compass app on my phone to do it.

If I'm on uneven ground I'll level it.

It just tracks better some days than others, better to catch a gap in the cloud than miss it.

If you consider the length of the session - for example typically 4hrs - then the first 10 or 15 mins to get it out the boot, assemble it, level it, balance it, polar align it, and then mount the scope on it, it's pretty short really - and that's with a smoke break in the middle.

If your session is 8hrs - then the first 15mins setting up is even shorter. But if it's a quick 30-40mins session - then the first 15mins takes up a lot of observing time. :)

I agree with Brantuk, you need to be spending some time at the scope to make the time spent setting up worthwhile. It can take me anything from 20 to 30mins to set up, but I use it for AP. I suppose if you are observing you needn't be too precise.

When I first started I got a second hand CG5 (manual tracking) for £110 in extremely good condition. Then added dual motors for £90 (brand new). It would be about the same for an EQ5 - but the CG5 is a tad sturdier/stronger with it's 2" diameter tripod legs. :)

Archived