Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help me spend my bonus ......

Over the course of my astro hobby I've owned most of the types of scopes from the good to the bad and I've got a set up at home that I love.

I am however hankering after a truly transportable solution for hols (only in the car - not on a plane) but i've been frustrated by the ones I've owned that claim to be so. Here is my summary including the pitfalls and benefits:

150mm newt on a manual EQ3 mount

Quick to set up but the size of mirror made it limiting.

12" Lightbridge

Reasonably transportable and quick to set up although not truly 'portable'.

Optical quality when I compared it side by side to a good OO UK 12" was disappointing. Made me glum for weeks  :sad:

16" Lightbridge

Portable? Depends on who you are!!!!!  :eek:

Also takes up a HUGE amount of space

C9.25 and CG5 GT

Brilliant scope and mount combo but needs a power supply to run the mount and the dew heaters.

So here is my list and random thoughts:

• I would love a 1/10 PV wave OO UK dob but as a solid tube dob they still take up lots of space
  • I've tried to work out what Sumerian optics sell and left the website very confused - perhaps I'll send them an e-mail
  • Looked at David Lukehurst options but his standard lines start at 12"

What I'm looking for, for around May time 2014, is a good (1/10PV minimum) around 10" truly portable DOB. Looks like Sumerian will hit the spot, if I can work out what they offer.

Any thought or other options? Do people have experience of dealing with Sumerian or Lukehurst?

Ta..

You could email Michael at Sumerian but the web site looks like the range is reduced to 4 options, the 12" Alkaid being the smallest.

On Michael's scope's I believe that you supply the mirror, not sure about the secondary mirror. Fairly sure that the main mirror is yours to get then he builds around it in effect.

His budget model, very nice 10", used to use the GSO mirror and he purchased them but I think theat GSO had a QA problem and a few were returned to Michael as they just didn't perform right. Michael sorted them but it was something that I suspect stopped him from doing and supplying a complete item.

Thode two aren't exactly portable,in fact the 16" is pretty much a 2 man set up.Ofcourse a 12" mass produced dob mirror won't be as good as a 1/10pv mirror but it's a case if get what you pay for and the OO one will be way more expensive.a 16" Sumerian like the one Mike73 has on here would be a good bet then you can choose your mirror.micheal at Sumerian is very helpfull,definately drop him an email.

Hmmm see what you mean about the confusing Sumerian website, drop him an email and he will get back to you. 

Michael was getting his GSO's from TS, I had a really bad 16" GSO when my Canopus first arrived so it was sent back to TS, they then sent all there in stock 16" GSO's to Hugens to get tested and all of them came back as 1/4Pv or better, my replacement is a 1/6Pv. :)

Sumerians decision to stop using GSO came about after my initial problem and you can't really blame him, he makes top class scopes and doesn't want any future hassles of using untested optics. 

Basically you just tell him what you want and he will supply and build it.

The Alkaid will be good if you really want a truly portable scope as it will fold down on itself so good for hand luggage when flying or squeezing into car with your family on holiday but if you are worried about weight then my 16" Canopus only weighs 32kg!

BTW, I emailed Michael last night and he hasn't got back to me yet but he is pretty busy with work, family etc. He usually replies within 24hrs though.  :smiley:

I have not used or seen a Lukehurst dob but they seem to be well regarded, perhaps you could ask him to quote for a scope made around OO's 10" f6.3 optics ? :smiley:  

That's one option I've considered.

I've not seen one in the flesh or seen any reviews but they seem well built.

You could email Michael at Sumerian but the web site looks like the range is reduced to 4 options, the 12" Alkaid being the smallest.

On Michael's scope's I believe that you supply the mirror, not sure about the secondary mirror. Fairly sure that the main mirror is yours to get then he builds around it in effect.

His budget model, very nice 10", used to use the GSO mirror and he purchased them but I think theat GSO had a QA problem and a few were returned to Michael as they just didn't perform right. Michael sorted them but it was something that I suspect stopped him from doing and supplying a complete item.

That is my interpretation too. It seems 12" is the smallest and TBH, this might be the size I end up with as it seems to be where they all start.

Skywatcher Flextube 14 or 16 inch?!

Not really portable I'm afraid. Holiday consists of

In the car:

Me and SWMBO

Daughter

Labrador

On the roof:

At least one bike

Roof box

To get a SW or Meade light bucket in, would be impossible plus the optical quality isn't the same as a 1/10 PV mirror set. I've compared them at the same site and there isn't any contest.

Hmmm see what you mean about the confusing Sumerian website, drop him an email and he will get back to you. 

Michael was getting his GSO's from TS, I had a really bad 16" GSO when my Canopus first arrived so it was sent back to TS, they then sent all there in stock 16" GSO's to Hugens to get tested and all of them came back as 1/4Pv or better, my replacement is a 1/6Pv. :)

Sumerians decision to stop using GSO came about after my initial problem and you can't really blame him, he makes top class scopes and doesn't want any future hassles of using untested optics. 

Basically you just tell him what you want and he will supply and build it.

The Alkaid will be good if you really want a truly portable scope as it will fold down on itself so good for hand luggage when flying or squeezing into car with your family on holiday but if you are worried about weight then my 16" Canopus only weighs 32kg!

BTW, I emailed Michael last night and he hasn't got back to me yet but he is pretty busy with work, family etc. He usually replies within 24hrs though.  :smiley:

I'll try him and see what he says. I'm prepared to order the OO mirrors and have the scope built round then.

Looks like a few e-mails to send then.

Cheers.

I'll try him and see what he says. I'm prepared to order the OO mirrors and have the scope built round then.

Looks like a few e-mails to send then.

Cheers.

I've got nothing but praise for Sumerian....OOUK make great mirrors but are on completely the other end of the scale when it comes to customer services in my experience!

Archived