NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3 Pro question

Ags

Ok, those are personal bests... dialling it back to something that is achievable most nights, would 3 minutes be reasonable?

It might be a "personal best", but I've only tried it a couple of times.  I see no reason that I'd not be able to do it again.  I think three minutes at 200mm would be easily achieved given decent polar alignment.

James

Good... because I am lazy and don't want to stress :-) "Easily achieved" is what I want to hear!

I guess it is just maths - if you have good polar alignment, why wouldn't it track for 4-5 minutes?

Good... because I am lazy and don't want to stress :-) "Easily achieved" is what I want to hear!

I guess it is just maths - if you have good polar alignment, why wouldn't it track for 4-5 minutes?

Mainly lack of accuracy in the machining of all the gears.  But at short focal lengths it doesn't show so much :)

James

Would you be planning on doing this from a permanent setup, or are you going to have to take the mount and tripod out each time?  The latter will obviously make it a fair bit more time-consuming.  You might get a lot of practice at drift-aligning :)

James

I am thinking of getting an EQ3 Pro next year. What sort of sub length could I reasonably expect from the mount at 200mm focal length unguided?

Hi,

If your polar alignment is spot on and the mount is balanced 120s should not be a problem. I used to do that with my EQ5 SynScan and 350mm of FL.

A.G

Archived