Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

squeaky dob

DazC

I've got a dob, and since I've had it, it's been noisy.

It's OK when I move it left to right, but up and down it makes a loud squeaking noise.

Does anyone else's dob do this?

And if so, how did you stop it?

D.C

If you don't fancy messy oil on your Dob then why not remove the OTA from the mount and carry out a precise "scribble" with a pencil on all the non friction mating faces.

This should ease things along enough yet at the same time not mess up the essential friction and best of all it's totally reversible with a rubber!

If you don't fancy messy oil on your Dob then why not remove the OTA from the mount and carry out a precise "scribble" with a pencil on all the non friction mating faces.

This should ease things along enough yet at the same time not mess up the essential friction and best of all it's totally reversible with a rubber!

Is it really as easy as that?!!

Thank you very much.

I'll be doing that as soon as I get home from work tomorrow.

D.C

Perhaps use a soft 4B artists pencil as these have the most graphite (it is this that acts as a lubricant).

Alternatively, I have rubbed candle wax onto my stiff desk draws (fnarr fnarr) to act as a lubricant with success.

I obviously can't tell where your Dob is squeaking from, so only you can device if the above ideas are appropriate.  Personally, I'd be tempted to leave it and let it sort itself out.

Archived