NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is this an error on ts website for 11x70 le

Astro_noob

I can't see any where that these are claimed to be ed in the other bins sizes in this series also significantly there is no mention of ed glass in the german or in the google english translation. This is probably an error made by whoever typed the version into its site. 

Ah,

It seems this is a mistake. There is another binocular that has ED objective doublet on there site that is also an 11x70 LE:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4959_TS-11x70-ED-Binocular---more-Contrast-and-Sharpness.html

Can anyone provide pros and cons for an 11x70 for deep sky views at a fairly light polluted area? I was initially looking at 10x50 but for the price of this binocular with ED objectives I am very tempted.

Regards,

Richard

Can anyone provide pros and cons for an 11x70 for deep sky views at a fairly light polluted area

FWIW, I reviewed the Opticron-branded version of the non-ED binocular in the Jan Sky at Night mag. IMO it offers no advantages over the 15x70 under light-polluted skies.

I do also wonder about putting ED glass in that binocular body: the prisms are prone to being knocked out of collimation and (unless they've changed it) the structure stops down the objective to an effective 62.5mm. Also, be aware that there is no internationally accepted  industry standard for "ED" - in budget binoculars such as these, it's probably safest to start off assuming that it is an advertising gimmick until evidence suggests otherwise. Probably less CR than the standard version, but don't expect Apo-like performance.

FWIW, I reviewed the Opticron-branded version of the non-ED binocular in the Jan Sky at Night mag. IMO it offers no advantages over the 15x70 under light-polluted skies.

I do also wonder about putting ED glass in that binocular body: the prisms are prone to being knocked out of collimation and (unless they've changed it) the structure stops down the objective to an effective 62.5mm. Also, be aware that there is no internationally accepted  industry standard for "ED" - in budget binoculars such as these, it's probably safest to start off assuming that it is an advertising gimmick until evidence suggests otherwise. Probably less CR than the standard version, but don't expect Apo-like performance.

Thanks Steve,

I need to think a little mre abut which binocular fits my pupose, I need roughly 10X magnification no less as I already have a 7x and a 5-6mm exit pupil maximum. The binoculr will likely be used more often than my 200p or 60mm scopes so needs to be robust. I like the idea of ED glass to reduce CA and increase sharpness. It would be nice to be able to handhold these binoculars for a few mins so heavy binoculars are not really an option.

I found it hard to choose a binocular that does fit my needs without sacrificing something a I think as you have suggested these 11x70 ED sacrifice robustness in aid of a cheaper binocular.

William Optics do a 10x50 ED that is a BA8 but I am worried that it will be too heavy to handhold and that for daytime use the idividual eyepiece focusing will be useless.

Thanks,

Richard

Archived