Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymaster 9x50 Finderscope diagonal upgrade?

I have the standard 9x50 finderscope on my SW200p Dob but have read good things about the diagonal version.

Is it possible to buy a diagonal that would fit on the small viewing end of the standard model or would I have to buy the angled version? A normal 1.25" diagonal won't work because the small end of the findescope has a much smaller barrel.

I doubt this will work. There are right angled finders with removable eyepieces and perhaps diagonals. But they tend to be expensive and heavy.

Your best option is a Skywatcher RACI finder. It's the same one you have but right angled. A word of warning though, it might take some time getting used to it, but it's usually complimented with a red dot finder.

I have ordered a Telrad.

Is there a 2nd hand market for the straight-through SW finderscope?

I feel a bit cheated having to buy almost the same thing again so soon after buying the scope. The diagonal version should be an upgrade option at minimal cost :rolleyes:

Until you have 250 posts and can access our classifieds section, this is a great place to buy & sell used gear:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

If they supplied scopes with better quality accessories then they would cost more and another brand would step in and offer a version with more basic ones again and steal their business. We would also get lots of questions like "is it really worth an extra £XX to have a 90 degree finder and 3 good quality eyepieces - are the basic ones that bad ?".  :smiley:

If they supplied scopes with better quality accessories then they would cost more and another brand would step in and offer a version with more basic ones again and steal their business. We would also get lots of questions like "is it really worth an extra £XX to have a 90 degree finder and 3 good quality eyepieces - are the basic ones that bad ?".  :smiley:

I don't have an issue with the manufacturers using the low-grade accessories as the default kit but I do think they should offer upgrade options. The published price would be as it is now but we could add as many ££ as we want to by selecting higher spec options.

As it is, I have bought a £45 piece of kit that I don't want and have to pay the full £65 for the one I do want and hope to sell the other one for a few quid. I would much rather have had the choice of paying £25 to upgrade :rolleyes:

I don't have an issue with the manufacturers using the low-grade accessories as the default kit but I do think they should offer upgrade options. The published price would be as it is now but we could add as many ££ as we want to by selecting higher spec options.

As it is, I have bought a £45 piece of kit that I don't want and have to pay the full £65 for the one I do want and hope to sell the other one for a few quid. I would much rather have had the choice of paying £25 to upgrade :rolleyes:

While this is true, not all of us need another RACI or 9x50 straight through finder at all. While I agree you should be able to upgrade, the single package probably keeps the costs down.

While this is true, not all of us need another RACI or 9x50 straight through finder at all. While I agree you should be able to upgrade, the single package probably keeps the costs down.

I think it's a bit like "any colour you like as long as it's black" although I believe Henry Ford is thought not to have actually said that !

I've long thought that dew shields ought to be supplied as standard with maks and SCT's though as dew on the glass at the top end is almost a certainty in a climate anything like ours.

I think it's a bit like "any colour you like as long as it's black" although I believe Henry Ford is thought not to have actually said that !

I've long thought that dew shields ought to be supplied as standard with maks and SCT's though as dew on the glass at the top end is almost a certainty in a climate anything like ours.

Yet, in a desert climate dew shields would be a lot less useful though :)

Location-based accessories is where a retailer could add real value.

For example: FLO, a very good retailer in my limited experience, could quite easily have offered the diagonal, better SW eyepieces and perhaps some other stuff as an upgrade when I ordered the scope. A sale or return arrangement with SW would allow the standard extras to be returned before sale.

I would be happy to pay a slight premium on the upgrades rather than have to pay full cost to buy them separatey and be stuck with kit I do not need or want.

Archived