Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem with my new EQ5, Dec. only moving 10 deg :(

this is a new mount with less than an hour used

everything was fine, the other night used it for about 30 mins looking at Jupiter

tonight I set up as weather said clear skies about 10 mins into viewing Jupiter I decided to try another target Betelgeuse

brought it up on the go to and it started slewing then it sounded odd and stopped moving in Declination

everything seems fine, I loosened the Dec lock and can move it manually no problem but under goto control

it will only move about 10 deg back and forwards

I stopped using it immediately and have brought it indoors

the scope was balanced and set up before use and had no load apart from the SW 200p and the 10mm & barlow lens

any suggestions as to the problem or advice

I don't plan to
tomorrow I will set it back up without the scope and do a visual inspection to make sure nothing is loose
or obviously wrong, I have read others have had issues with not enough power as it requires about 2A
I'm using a 4A mains supply so it should be fine and unless its obvious I'll be calling the supplier

If you think the power supply is the problem, then stick it on a fully charged car or bike battery and try the slew again.  Watch the polarity though.

will try another power source and swap the cables around to make sure its not something simple first

I've got a degree in radio electronics so I know my way around a multi meter and how to check cables

if that doesn't solve the issue I'll give Zoltan a call

Ok I was wrong thats not the issue
removing the cover shows this to be a step gear
so I set the scope back up exactly like it was last night and ran it through a full 360* on the dec motor and it worked fine

ran it through some locations to check both motors and no problem, starting to rain so didn't get a chance to do much more

so for now I'll wait for some good weather and hopefully test it a bit more

yes 12V 2A is what the manual says is min requirement
I'm running 12V 4A so more than enough power, havn't had time to get it out to test it more yet
hopefully tomorrow I can try it again ans see if the problem persists

Archived