Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best. Night. Ever. (So far)

Kirscovitch

Tonight was probably my best session to date. News of the SN in M82 had me very excited. I mean really excited and itching to get back outside. The last few weeks have been nothing short of awful weather wise. Snow and clouds and more snow. The weather report for tonight seemed promising.

I work night shift (330 till midnight) and lately I just keep my bins in the car. On my lunch break I took them out back of the warehouse where I was shielded from the wind and the bright parking lot lights. There were some clouds, but also a haze in the air. M45 was ok. M42 was visible but could not really make out any of the nebula. Just the stars. Jupiter was just a bright blur.

On the 30 minute drive home I was becoming more and more depressed. There were some stars out but so very dim. Like seeing them through fog. By this time the moon was up and there was this "halo" around it. Seeing conditions were not good at all. 

Got home and checked the weather report. Supposedly clearing off around 2am. I looked outside at around 145 and sure enough. Stars were brilliant and no fuzz around the moon. I took the SLT out to cool down and headed back in to get dressed. Temps tonight of -10 with the wind chills dipping to -20F.

After finally getting out I did the goto alignment, and of course, the first attempt failed. I powered down and tried again and was successful. First target was, of course, M82.

Sadly I must say I didn't see anything. I checked around the vicinity with a variety of EPs but nothing. I must admit I was a bit discouraged but hopefully I will still have time. I almost packed it up right there but I figured if I had gone through all the trouble to set up, might as well get some other views.

So I swung over to Jupiter and watched her for about a half hour. Usually I get my best views with a 9mm and 2x barlow at 144x mag. However as clear as it was the conditions must not have been that good. I could barely pick out the 2 major bands.

So I turned to the moon. I kept the 9mm/barlow combo in and I must say I was pretty impressed. That is the first time I have viewed the moon over 100x and I was fun just scanning over the surface. 

Stepping away from the scope for a minute and just looking at it naked eye I noticed a star just above and slightly to the left. I pulled out my phone and with a sky map app I have I realized it was no star, but Mars. I had yet to view it yet through a scope so I immediately put it in the EP. I couldn't believe the color! It was definitely the red planet! Could not make out any sort of detail but I didn't expect to. But still it was another planet under my belt. Can't wait to get a view of it when it comes closer to opposition with the 10" dob!

By now it was about 330 and my toes and fingers were starting to feel the temps. I was ready to pack it in once again but then realized that Saturn should be up by now. I punched it into the handheld and the scope slewed over. At first I didn't think I would be able to see it. It was pretty low on the horizon and the scope appeared to be pointing in a window on a house across the street. But looking in the EP, there it was! No doubt about it, I was viewing Saturn!

Not much for detail at all. It was so low on the horizon and viewing right over a house. Appeared to be an oval with a bulge in the center. Looking back I don't even know if I saw any of its moons or not. Just too into the face that I was viewing Saturn. Gave me that feeling of seeing Jupiter all over again!.

So even though the seeing conditions were not the greatest, and the one target I really wanted to see was not visible, I think tonight was one of the best sessions I have ever had. Hopefully the SN will get brighter as is predicted. But seeing 2 new planets for the first time was really something special.

Good one Matt, its great what this hobby (sometimes) gives back with a little perseverance.

I'm just off out now as it gets dark, I thing we have about an hour here until the next 24 hour deluge-a-thon takes place,

I saw the SN last night, and again this morning, and just between those two times (about 6 hours) it had brightened so it should be

quite something over the next few days.

I had some dew problems of course because the temperature here dropped (with wind chill) to about.......errrm.........3 degrees.

More of a wind-cool really now I come to think about it, we have only had I frosty morning on the Island so far this year due to an almost

permanent flow of water down onto our heads, so time to see the sky like last night / this morning cannot be passed up,

Good luck with M82

Mick.

congrats on bagging mars. ive only managed mars once myself ,a small orange/brown disk as I recall .

I hear the weather is quite bad over that side of the pond , wrap up warm eh :icon_salut:

Mars was kind of by accident. I noticed a bright star just above the moon and checked an app on my phone to see what it was and low and behold it was the red planet itself. Started with a 9mm then barlowed it up to 144x. All I could make out was a reddish/ brownish dot. Just for giggles I cranked it up to 216x with a 3mm lens and I don't think there was any difference. The only cool thing about viewing it was the color. 

As for the weather, it has been cold but usually when it's cold it's clear! Next time I head out on a bitter cold night I will have to have the fiancee take a picture of me in my gear. I look like I'm ready to head out for an arctic expedition.

Hi Matt,

Glad you got to see Mars. Always seems cold and wet here in the UK, but I found a great way to  keep warm.

Consider getting a hot water bottle next time your in Walmart, about $4 bucks. Old school technology, good for a laugh by those observing with you, but works great to keep you warm when tucked inside your coat.  

post-21902-0-54471700-1390662559_thumb.j

Hi Matt,

Glad you got to see Mars. Always seems cold and wet here in the UK, but I found a great way to  keep warm.

Consider getting a hot water bottle next time your in Walmart, about $4 bucks. Old school technology, good for a laugh by those observing with you, but works great to keep you warm when tucked inside your coat.  

That's a good idea. I usually stock up on those disposable hand warmers and keep a couple in an inside shirt pocket and a couple right by my toes in my boots. Toes are always the first to get cold.

I wear a hooded sweatshirt under my observing fleece. Like most pull over sweatshirt's, it  has a huge single pocket in front which easily fits a water bottle. The bottle keeps your core and the rest of you warm; got to have an extra pair of socks on though.

I dress in enough layers and wear snow bibs to keep my core and legs comfy. If I had planned to be out as long as I was, I would have put a couple disposable warmers in the toes of my boots. I'm usually fine until the feet get cold. Then I'm done.

Archived