SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tweaking in DSS compared to PShop

Like many others I use DSS to stack my images and then PhotoShop of levels/curves etc.

I have read a mix of stack with DSS then save the final dark TIFF image and then tweak within PhotoShop.

I have also read stack with DSS, do some minor tweaking to bring out the colour, save and then continue with Photoshop.

As mentioned - I have read a mix of the above, but no real explanation of why people do one over the other....

any explanations or thoughts ?

.... as a side, whats the difference between tweaking in DSS and then saving the TIFF with changes embedded or applied? - how does PShop handle this when loaded ?

Thanks

I think the majority view is that it is better to do any post processing in PS however my own personal experience is the opposite my stacked images come out a very bright orange with no observable detail but seem to benifit a lot by processing in DSS first so i am a bit confused too.

• 3 weeks later...

I also do all the processing in Photoshop. If I tweak anything in DSS and then save with settings applied, I loose a lot of data and end up with a very noisy image, with poor star colour and low contrast in the nebulosity. Simply increasing the saturation slider in DSS brings back some colour but also masses of noise. By saving the DSS tiff with settings embedded but not applied, all the information in the image is preserved and I can then do a much better job, with higher precision and selectivity using the tools available in Photoshop.

I think if you are confident in processing an image from scratch, you can get a much better result with Photoshop. If you are not so confident and just want an image to share, then making a rough start in DSS will save you quite a bit of time but, I think, you will be loosing out on noise, colour and detail.

Haven't used DSS much recently  but just downloaded latest version to process DSLR images, the only thing I found usefull to do in DSS was to align the colour planes in the histogram before transfering to PS.

Dave

Haven't used DSS much recently  but just downloaded latest version to process DSLR images, the only thing I found usefull to do in DSS was to align the colour planes in the histogram before transfering to PS.

Dave

I set a target blackpoint of 27:27:27 in PS Levels and then just click on the darkest bit of the background :)

The author of DSS doesn't recommend using the adjustments fur processing, he said they are there for a preview.

When I first started I used to use the DSS adjustments as they are easier to use, but as I've progressed and learnt more about processing no longer do so as the adjustments are lacking the fine controlthe poss allows. The difference in the saves is whether the DSS changes are applied to the saved image or not.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Rik how do you set the targeted blackpoint?

Alan

The easiest way to explain is if I just link to the complete DSLR-LRGB processing workflow by Scott Rosen. http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php This is pretty much how I do all my DSLR images, and CCD LRGB images. The third video clip 

" Initial Crop, Initial Levels, Gradient Xterminator (GradX was not used on this image) (6:17)" is the one with targeted black points.
I found this a really good processing tutorial and has been the most help I have had aside from the great advice given by SGL superstars.

The easiest way to explain is if I just link to the complete DSLR-LRGB processing workflow by Scott Rosen. http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php This is pretty much how I do all my DSLR images, and CCD LRGB images. The third video clip 

" Initial Crop, Initial Levels, Gradient Xterminator (GradX was not used on this image) (6:17)" is the one with targeted black points.

I found this a really good processing tutorial and has been the most help I have had aside from the great advice given by SGL superstars.

Thanks Rik thats a great tutorial.

Alan

Archived