Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

the Ha sun lunchtime

nytecam

Here's a quick snap of the sun trough my PST from inside the front porch through double glazing - my mode for winter!  I've split the Fuji single image and combined the red channel for proms and blue channel for disk and colourised result  :police:

post-21003-0-69970000-1390396154_thumb.j

Hi Andy - it is false colour eg red + blue mono images colourised! :-)

Well - it's a much truer false colour!

Actually - how does that work then? I though the whole point of an Ha scope was that they're a very narrow pass filter - so the light coming in should be nearly monochromatic, right? How did you get red and blue? I'm a bit confused (I don't do this electronics thing!)

Well - it's a much truer false colour!

Actually - how does that work then? I though the whole point of an Ha scope was that they're a very narrow pass filter - so the light coming in should be nearly monochromatic, right? How did you get red and blue? I'm a bit confused (I don't do this electronics thing!)

Hi Andy & Qualia - I use an old Fuji E550 to snap the sun through my PST - the proms are correctly exposed but the disk is grossly over-exposed without detail. However if the colour image is split into RGB (mono) channels via Photoshop/ Paintphoppro the blue channel shows disk detail because the camera's blue channel 'leaks' red light through the monochromatic Ha filter which I used to advantage in the composite above. It's colourised to match the view through the PST

I've been lucky to see a total eclipse of the sun ( no scope needed) and the exposed chromospere with the proms is a unique electric pink colour eg not deep red like the PST. The pink colour is a combo of red Ha + yellow Helium + blue H beta:-)

Archived