NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tracking planets?...

Definitely! And if you find registax struggles there is some software called castrator that picks out the planet and centers it in the video. Can help if there is too much movement between frames.

cheers

You should polar align the mount, usually a bit better for AP then visual, then aim scope with webcm at the planet, centre it and get the avi file. Say 2 minutes worth, although maybe less for Jupiter - it rotates pretty fast.

After that process through Registax.

The mount will (should) track as the default so you basically let it do it's stuff.

Brilliant. What info do I have to input into the handset to track planets?

Clive

Once you're polar aligned and your star alignment routine is complete slew to your target planet. Sidereal rate should now be active and tracking will be as good as your alignment will allow.

Ok. Sorry, I was under the impression that the planets followed their own slightly different trajectory that the background stars. Do I only really need 1 drive motor then?

many thanks for the replies

Clive

They do, but sidereal rate is used to compensate for the earth's rotation relative to the fixed points of the stars or in this case relatively fixed planets.

Ok. Sorry, I was under the impression that the planets followed their own slightly different trajectory that the background stars. Do I only really need 1 drive motor then?

many thanks for the replies

Clive

Although you really only need RA,I think you would wish you had both available further down the road, I find that no matter how good I polar align, after several hours I have had to give the dec +/- button a push to re-centre at some point...

If you had both motors you could in the long run connect control via a laptop and solder an ST 4 connection to the handset to run both RA and DEC via a guidescope- just thinking how you could futureproof at lower initial outlay

Yes, you only need a motor on the RA axis to track the planets if you are polar aligned. The planets appear to move over the course of the seasons, but on an hour by hour basis you won't notice their movements to differ from the surrounding stars.

James

Archived