Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar observing Planning/Logging software?

michaelmorris

Astroplanner is brilliant at planning and recording observations of the stars and deep sky objects. The new version 2 (due out any day) looks as though it will knock spots off its main competitor (Skytools 2). Unfortunately, it isn't really set up for dealing with lunar observation.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be any equivalent software for lunar observing.

What I'm after is a 'Lunaplanner' that allowed the user to put together observing plans for the Moon (Rima, volcanic features,libration targets, lunar 100 etc. etc.); tells the user when these features are visible; when they meet various observing criteria (libration, moon age; co-longitude etc.); and allows the user to record their

observations (inc. sketches and images) in a manner similar to programs such as Skytools and Astroplanner.

Does anyone know any such software?

Have you tried the following:

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Moon" (http://www.shallowsky.com/moon/hitchhiker.html) or

The InConstant Moon website, this has a whole bunch of links to useful info and tools for moon observing, etc. (http://www.inconstantmoon.com/inconstant.htm)

I hope this bunch helps?

Steve

P.S. Found this lot by typing just 'Moon' into Google. :D

Not sure that LPP has a facility to log an observation - but it will show you when features are available.

Same as VMA I think....

I already have both of these. Whilst Lunar Phase Pro and Virtual Moon Atlas are both very good, neither of them gives me the planning and logging features I'm after.

Archived