Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New celestron semi giants spotted online

Astro_noob

Just a quick post to gauge everyone's thoughts on this strange new binocular I spotted online this morning. It's a Celestron cometron 12x70 for £76. For anyone looking for a 15x70 under £100 this may be a little easier to hand hold versus a 15x70! Hopefully this will become more readily available through other retailers soon.

Is this the first signs of the demise of the skymaster line?

They came out around August in the US -- intended for observing "comet of the century over-hyped comet" ISON (hence their name). At 4.6*, the FoV is hardly any bigger than the 15x70 (4.4*), so the apparent FoV will be smaller at 55*. Apparently, the actual aperture is stopped down internally to around 63mm, so the actual exit pupil will only be 5.25mm, not the 5.8 cited on the Microglobe site. The eye relief is better than the 15x70, so will be better for spectacle-wearers.

FWIW, I recently reviewed the Opticron Oregon 11x70 for the January Sky@Night mag. It's also a BA1, also 4.6*  FoV. Is easier to hold steady than the 15x70 but, apart from that, the only advantage I see over a 15x70 is under dark rural skies -- IMO the 15x70 wins under anything with a naked eye limiting magnitude brighter than around +5.5.

The greater the magnification, the darker the sky background. This gives you better contrast on point objects (stars) but doesn't make a lot of difference to extended objects (faint fuzzies). 5mm is generally considered to be a good compromise, but it's a bit of a myth, really: it's a very individual thing - what some like, others loathe. Best thing is to try out other people's kit, then decide what to get for yourself.

Archived