First time imaging

Hi, I am new to astronomy and my first scope is a100 mm refractor "skywatcher"

I have observed several planets and stars but I find I need to capture the experience.

I would like to get involved with astro imaging but I am not sure where or how to start. I do have a canon eos 1100d slr camera and wondered if this could be used with my scope?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Your Canon EOS110D is often recommended as a good camera to attach to many many scopes for astrophotography. The SW 100mm scope may well be suitable as well. But for anything beyond quick photos of the moon, the most important (and expensive) thing is the mount/tripod which needs to be heavy and capable of automatically tracking the sky as the earth rotates. There is a really good book to help you in thinking about astrophotography (and maybe putting you off for a while until you get more experience of visual observing and whilst you save up) called 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to SGL.

I second the advice for a copy of 'Making every photon count'... it will explain everything you need to know, and more importantly, what you don't need to be buying.

The book is available from FLO: -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Whilst you can easily connect your 1100d to your scope using a canon tee ring + a tee ring adaptor (either 1 1/4" or 2") + you will also need an extension tube of between 50mm -80mm length to replace the diagonal... what you will be able to photograph will be dependant on the mount you are using and the focal length of your scope.

Some further information on your scope and mount would allow folks here to be able to best advise you.

Ask all the questions you like... there will always be someone here to help you.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

What you will be able to do with your canon depends on the capabilities of your EQ5.  I am not sure about these EQ5 mounts except that certainly some people do image with them, but I am not sure if there are different models.  If yours has a guide port then it might well be suitable for long exposure.

You will be able to do the Moon with DSLR and quick shots and your set up, but planets will be too small with a DSLR and you would do better to get yourself a suitable webcam for planetary.

As regards deep sky imaging, the DSLR will be suitable for that so long as your mount will not only track but guide as well as you'll need to do 5 minute exposures to get decent results.

HTH

Carole 

My first astrophotography shots were driven by the same desire you have - to simply capture the moment

I started with a mount similar to yours and a Canon 450d (un-modified)

Make the effort - you won't regret it. The results you get, while not comparable to seasoned veteran's will no doubt give you hours of enjoyment - as they did me.

And in doing this you'll learn the ropes, one step at a time - which is always best. At each stage you'll consider the results you've obtained and investigate the next step required - and the money - required to take you on your journey.

Stick with this forum, consult with First Light Optics and read Steve's book.....and have fun - but don't forget to keep doing visuals - I'm just about to buy a scope to take me back to those roots :-)

David

im new to imaging aswell and quickly found out how difficult it is but found these videos on youtube and they go through things in a lot of detail while keeping it fairly easy to understand. the videos are between 20 mins to 40 mins but there definitely worth a watch. 

I got "Making every photon count" for Christmas and agree it is an excellent book on the subject. I would also recommend "The Backyard Astronomer’s Guide" available through Amazon. It covers a lot of ground but the chapter on imaging gives very sound advice for starting out. 

http://www.backyardastronomy.com/Backyard_Astronomy/Backyard_Astronomers_Guide.html

I have the Canon 1100D and I have modified it myself (i.e., replaced the internal IR cut filter). The mount is a key part of an imaging setup - don't scrimp on it. I now have an NEQ6 after a year wrestling with a Meade LX80! Such Skywatcher mounts are tried and tested, can be used with EQMOD/ASCOM and an autoguider.

You may benefit by getting the matched focal reducer for your Skywatcher refractor (to widen the field of view and reduce exposure times) but ultimately just see what your scope can do. There's a lot to learn so take it a step at a time.

Archived