NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Denk Binoviewers

cyborg421

I don't have a Binotron but have read its great piece of kit.

Also I have read seasoned observers raving about the Denk EPs.

Designed for the aperture of the Denk Binos, the 21s will not vignette at all and performance of both the 21 and 14 is said to be excellent.

Not cheap but I suppose if you're buying a top bino why compromise it with cheaper EPs ?

I'm very close to taking the plunge (I'm only here once,after all!) and ordering a pair of Denk B27's.

It's the powerswitch which is swaying me....just so convenient. I'd love to try out the Mk5s, but they are just too pricey.

I'd be getting the powerswitch diagonal and use it exclusively with my refractor. I don't have a Newt..

I'd then use my Maxbright solely with my C8. It's very short lightpath makes it an ideal match.

I'm also looking at getting the D21 eyepieces. As Spacedragon has said, I've heard nothing but glowing reports.

But totalled up this would be a significant purchase, well in to 4 figure territory.

There's also the issue of ordering online from the US, and having to pay import taxes etc. The Denk website is a mess as well.

I'm not put off by this however : I'm totally addicted to binos.

As the say over on the CN forum : Bino-viewing - twice the fun : three times the cost !! :-))

I worked out that fully modded with a pair of eyepieces worked out around £1600 after tax/import duties but don't quote me on that.

The MK5's are about the same with a couple of pans and a glaspath corrector for my Dob.

From what I can gather the optical quality is about the same.

I agree with you about the website, it is rambling and confusing. What ever happen to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)?

I wasn't quite sure how the Powerswitch worked and the website wasn't helpful.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Simon

Simon,

The powerswitch enables you (with a Newtonian) to instantly switch between a 'Barlowed' view and a 'reducer' view (i think) so you then have

3 different magnification options with a single set of eyepieces. It might be configureable though to suit your needs.

They also have star diagonals with powerswitches added to them for refractors / SCT systems.

They even do one with a double powerswitch to enable multiple magnification options.

This really appeals to me. The Maxbright i use is nice, but its a faff having to change GPCs over, especially when out in the field.

If you check out the CN forum, theres a user test on the homepage of one of their SCT diagonals.

Also, in the dedicated Binoviewer section, theres a ton of stuff on there too.

If fact, i've learnt everything i know about binos on there, especially from 'Eddgie' who is absolutely brilliant.

The chap who runs the Denkmeier company : Russ Lederman, is also very helpful, so i'm led to believe.

If you drop him an email, i'm sure he'll answer any questions. 

Cheers Rob.

ps Are you going to order anything soon ? Let us know how you get on  :smiley:

Archived