Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C100ED for Imaging Planets?

Barry

Hi, After playing with DSO imaging for a while I would like to do some planetary imaging. 

Would a C100ED be any good?  The advantage of this scope for me is that I have one sitting unused in the back of the shed.

At F9, with my 2x or 3x Barlow it would be F18 or F27. Would an ASI120MC or QHY5L-ii suit this set up?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Barry

Hi, After playing with DSO imaging for a while I would like to do some planetary imaging. 

Would a C100ED be any good?  The advantage of this scope for me is that I have one sitting unused in the back of the shed.

At F9, with my 2x or 3x Barlow it would be F18 or F27. Would an ASI120MC or QHY5L-ii suit this set up?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Barry

Last year I did a few captures of Jupiter and Saturn with my SW 100ED which I guess is the same scope as the C 100ED, using a TeleVue 2.5X powermate and an ASI 120 MC I thought the quality of the stuff was better than what I got from my MAK 127, mind you I was just starting imaging and I had only had a scope since last FEB. The scope is not going to approach the quality of agood 8"or 10" NEWT or SCT but given good seeing and accurate focusing I think the detail  can be quite good. I have misplaced my backup drive which had some of my captures so with regret I do not have any pictures to show for it.

Regards,

A.G

Many thanks. It seems worth having a go.

Barry

Hi Barry,

One more point regarding the 100ED, I bought a 0.6X FF/FR from Altair Astro and it seems that the scope can come to focus with this reducer and my Canon 1100d. I am sure that it will not cover the DSLR size sensor but I do my DSO imaging with CCDs anyway. I will test it for imaging, if  and when this god awful weather permits, two solid weeks of rain and clouds so far in Manchester, if the results are satisfactory then with the adddition of a reducer of about £80.00 the scope becomes a fast 100mm aperture, 540mm FL an F5.4 F ratio which is suitable for imaging quite a lot of DSO targets.

Regards,

A.G

I use a 200P and an Equinox 66 for DSOs with an 1100D so I have that side covered.  I am hoping that the longer FL -F9- of the C100ED will make it suitable for brighter plants with a (yet to be purchased) camera.

Barry

I use a 200P and an Equinox 66 for DSOs with an 1100D so I have that side covered.  I am hoping that the longer FL -F9- of the C100ED will make it suitable for brighter plants with a (yet to be purchased) camera.

Barry

Your 200p is excellent with planetary and quite fast, why don't you channel the money to a good camera ?

A.G

At F5 the image is quite small with the 200P, even with a 3x Televue. I have only used an SPC880 with it though.

Barry

Hi Barry,

The FL of the 100ED is  900mm, so the image is even smaller, the 200p does have the light grasp to work well with a good 5X barlow, if you are after the sort of images that are normally posted in the Planetary imaging forum,and I suspect that you are, then I think that you'd probably have to look at some large aperture SCTs or even  Maks fo that matter.

Regards,

A.G

Archived