SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking for a good eyepiece, your EH please :)

Hello

I'm currently looking for a high magnification eyepiece of 5-6mm. Doing the calculations from this amazing topic , I should have 6.9*(3/4)=5.2 mm as max power eyepiece for my telscope. I mean this is like a rule of thumb so I'm guessing 5mm will be ok? or should I stick with a 6mm

I have the Newtonian equatorial SkyWatcher 130M, focal ratio is 900/130= 6.9, I am looking for all kinds of qualities and prices at the moments, but would prefer a good price for above average or decent quality eyepiece.

Thanks. 

Glad you started with The Wartog's tutorial!

I assume you already have the stock 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow which come with this scope new? If so you can already try out the equivalent of 5mm with the 10mm + Barlow combination. If you're not happy with this, and it's not just a question of the 'seeing' at the time, then an investment in a good 5mm eyepiece may be justified. People on this forum are very keen on the BST Starguider range from Sky's the Limit ebay shop. They offer a 'sale or return service' where they send you a couple of eyepieces to tryout with your scope and you return one and get your money back.

Such an eyepiece should remain a worthwhile investment if you subsequently upgrade your scope to, say, an f4.7 Dob like the SW Skyliner 250px.

A 6mm will be used a lot in an F/6.9 scope, but a 5 would also be useful in good seeing: 180x is not over the top for your scope. It is also good to have closely spaced EPs at the planetary end. Which EP would be best depends on many factors, and an important one is whether or not you need to use glasses when observing. If so, long eye relief EPs such as the TMB Planetary and clones at the cheaper end, the Radians, Delos, and XW EPs at the expensive end, or the Vixen (N)LV EPs in the middle are best. The Delos comes in 4.5 and 6mm focal length (the ones closest to your specs), the XW in 5 and 7, the (N)LVs come in 5 and 6mm. Vixen also produce the more expensive LVW at 5mm, but not 6. The LVs are no longer in production, but they are still in stock in several web stores (including Robtics in the Netherlands), the NLVs are essentially the same design, but in an updated housing, and perhaps new coatings. The have a narrower field of view (FOV: 45-50 deg in this case) compared to the Radians and Planetaries (58-60) or the Delos and XW (70-72).

If you do not wear glasses, a good Plossl or for preference Orthoscopic EP is a very good choice. The FOV is smaller, and eye relief is minute. The Baader Classic Ortho of 6mm has just about 4.5mm eye relief. Not to everyone's taste, but very sharp, and cheap compared to the long eye relief EPs of similar performance

I don't know where on earth did the EH came from in the title, it's supposed to be your advice :grin: 

Glad you started with The Wartog's tutorial!

I assume you already have the stock 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow which come with this scope new? If so you can already try out the equivalent of 5mm with the 10mm + Barlow combination. If you're not happy with this, and it's not just a question of the 'seeing' at the time, then an investment in a good 5mm eyepiece may be justified. People on this forum are very keen on the BST Starguider range from Sky's the Limit ebay shop. They offer a 'sale or return service' where they send you a couple of eyepieces to tryout with your scope and you return one and get your money back.

Such an eyepiece should remain a worthwhile investment if you subsequently upgrade your scope to, say, an f4.7 Dob like the SW Skyliner 250px.

I have the eyepieces you've mentioned and the Barlow. Just wondering if the eyepieces and Barlow that came with the telescope are good enough and  whether I will have a big difference in observing when using other quality brands. I also have a 10 mm and 20 mm eyepieces that came with the Celestron Travel Scope 70, and it  I've had a good view of Jupiter with the 10mm + barlow, now that I've mentioned it , not sure which 10mm I used with the Barlow. Still unsure of the eyepieces that came with both telescope. 

I wish I used the BST Starguider when I was in the UK. nvm

What should a priority? a 5mm , 8mm or replace the 10mm with a good one and use the Barlow with it? I think the 20 and 25mm EP that I have will do good for now, I'm really uncertain of whether I need both high magnification and/or mid-high mag EPs?

Hi PlanetGazer, 

I have the same Skywatcher scope as you, and like you have also been doing a lot of looking into EP's. The BST starguiders do come highly recommended on this board, but as yet I haven't made the decision to buy. Like you however, I'm thinking of getting the 5mm first, although the 8mm is also high in my throughts. My reasoning is even to my untrained eye, the 10mm seems noticeably poorer than the 25mm, and so a quality eyepiece should improve the high magnification end of my stargazing quite significantly. 

That said, I've also taken on board the idea that maximum magnification doesn't always equal the best views. 

After swaying between a Skywatcher Plossil or the BST, I went with an 8mm BST Starguider to replace the awful stock SR4mm that came with my scope. Only had it a few days so I've only used it once so far (Wed night). It was great for viewing Jupiter and the eye relief and FOV was night and day compare to the SR4mm.

I would prioritise the higher mag to get good views of Jupiter just now and upgrade your 10mm and 25mm later. I'm still using the stock 12.5mm and 20mm.

If you want good EP's then look at the Televue nagler lenses, They're not cheap but  once you have looked through them you will not want cheaper lenses,  However the BST skyguider lenses are very good for the money, You will have to pay double the cost to get similar quality  lenses,

You can find S/H lenses on:-  http://www.astrobuysell.com/

Archived