Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Scope!

Hi all,

I've just ordered my very first telescope! I ordered a celestron astromaster 70az refractor and it should be here by the weekend. I wanted to share my news with like minded people that will appreciate how excited I am cause my family are fed up of me keep talking about it haha.

I'm a complete beginner but am in the middle of reading Astronomy For Dummies and hoping to buy Turn Left At Orion soon. I am so fascinated by our skies and can't wait to get stuck in viewing/learning/experiencing what our skies have to offer.

I am also interested in astrophotography so I may dabble in that area once I've found my bearings. I have a Nikon L120 bridge camera so I look forward to seeing what images I can capture with it.

I'm also looking forward to getting my two young nephews involved (4years and 6years old).

Any tips, tricks and advice you can offer is, as always, very much appreciated.

Michelle :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. I can say that a copy of TLaO (Turn Left) is a must. Would not buy the kindle version, but the physical book (with the ring binding) then you can take that outside when observing. Can also say that Afocal photography with a refractor is a lot of fun. You will be surprised what you can capture, though it might be good to look at a digiscoping bracket to hold the camera at the eyepiece (Something like the Baader one), and use a small compact at first (or even the camera on a phone).

Good luck and clear skies.

I feel excited for you Michelle.  I remember, too many years ago, my first view of Saturn in a 60mm refractor.  At x48, which is fairly modest, I was amazed when I focused down on it and saw the rings nearly fully open.  it still gives me goose bumps thinking about it today!

If fact, if you get up early in the morning you can do the same thing yourself as Saturn is in the morning sky.

I'm sure you'll have great fun with your telescope and some wonderful experiences.  Good luck.

It's definitely worthwhile getting a copy of Turn Left At Orion (the ring bound fourth edition). It's been a real help to me in finding new objects in the night sky. Also, you should download Stellarium as it's a great piece of software for modelling the sky as you will see it. Helps to know where and what to look for!

Archived