Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I love my wind-up torch!

Yes, I know, I'm a bit of a hippy at heart and I like anything without batteries but I really do like the thing.

Now I've found that it's perfect for astronomy too.

I know you can buy special red torches and such (that use those pesky batteries), but with the wind-up torch, I can keep the thing so that it is so dim, it doesn't affect my night vision but still lets me make out things like the colour bands on my EPs, the setting rings, etc. all I have to do is give it one or two turns from flat and its like working by the light of a birthday cake candle...perfect!

The battery never runs out halfway through a session either.

I had been going to buy one of the fancy proper things but being a scrooge, I tried the cheap torch instead and was pleased I did.

Now all I've got to do is stop the stupid neighbours from driving up the little lane next to my house at night with the headlights on full beam and the foglights blazing...grrr!

There have been claims that the received wisdom of red light preserving night vision is wrong, and a dim white or even green light is better. I've not tested myself, but then I suspect conditions are never dark enough where I live to fully dark adapt anyway.

You don't need to buy a special red torch. Its one of the easiest things to make for yourself. Just remove the lens from an ordinary torch and use it to trace on a piece of red plastic, such as from a notebook cover; simply cut it out with sissors and install it in the lens holder. That's all there is to it.

It's good to have at least two " dedicated " torches of different shapes, one Red and one White light, that way there is no mistaking which is which and accidentally losing your dark adaption.

From experience, I consider multifunction torches to be a menace, especially while observing with others where someone is fiddling with one trying to find the right setting.

Edit: Here are a few torches modified by using red plastic discs, the head torch was too bright so I cut the led's off until I obtained the desired brightness for purpose. 

post-21902-0-21262600-1389662038_thumb.j

post-21902-0-27504100-1389662069_thumb.j

post-21902-0-96754000-1389662135_thumb.j

post-21902-0-09311000-1389662154_thumb.j

post-21902-0-50056500-1389662563_thumb.j

Getting to be a nice selection of the wind-up ones now and at better prices.

A simple red filter over the front does a good job, I have never yet tried to replace the LED itself.

If you are in a group they do make a noise, at one I go to the person who runs/organises it always looks "annoyed" when I wind it up.

................. If you are in a group they do make a noise, at one I go to the person who runs/organises it always looks "annoyed" when I wind it up.

But then, scopes slewing make a comparable annoying noise; at least to me.  

I have a Fenix PD30 which came with a red filter which just pops on the end. Batteries last forever as it is a LED torch. It has various settings, low power, medium, high and SOS (all by just half-pressing the on/off button). A twist of the head and its on max. power and then half-pressing the button it will go into strobe mode.

I long had it before I got my telescope, but I am pretty happy with it.

If you are in a group they do make a noise, at one I go to the person who runs/organises it always looks "annoyed" when I wind it up.

He thinks you're 'winding him up'!

This thread has inspired me to modify a wind-up torch I bought a long time ago (ten years?). That was in the days when white LEDs were pretty dim and a bit purplish. Until now I've been using a cycle rear lamp (2 AAA batteries) with a piece of kitchen paper covering the LED to dim it and spread the light.

Archived