SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon EOS 100D

I use a modded Canon 1000D and have to say I love it, it's a great camera with plenty of available accessories like filters, timed shutter releases, mains power supplies, software and is easily hooked up to a computer so it can be controlled via a laptop or pc tower. It's a great way to get into astrophotography without spending a fortune. Also I have found the battery life of these camera's to be outstanding, 2 fully charged batteries are more than enough for a night of taking images and the battery recharge time is pretty quick too. 

This was taken with a stock 100D and was winner of the 2012 young astronomer of the year

jacobvonchoruspleiadescluster652.jpg

Pleiades Cluster by Jacob von Chorus (Canada), aged 15

Just found this pic..so seems to be a useful camera..

The specs were...Sky Watcher Equinox 80ED telescope; Celestron CG-5 mount; f/6.25 lens; Stock Canon 100D camera; ISO 800; 30-minute exposure

Here's a crop of first light image from a modded (IR filter removed) 100D I took on a fixed tripod (18mm, f3.5, ISO1600, 30 seconds).

11754970186_588eaae4a1_z.jpg

The above was taken in pretty hazy conditions. I was hoping to do a side-by-side comparison with my unmodded 1100D, but the clouds rolled across. Whether the 100D offers any advantages over the 1100D or 1000D I couldn't say. The sensor gives a higher resolution but that probably isn't important for astrophotography, compared to sensor size (identical in all 3 models) and read noise.

I use a modded Canon 1000D and have to say I love it,

The 100D is a different model from the 1000D.  :smiley:

While I've only used the 100D (not mine) once, thinking back it's quite a bit lighter in the hand, and the slightly larger screen made getting focus a bit easier.

Betelgeuse...I love that star...

Taking the IR filter out really brings out the red colour. Here's a snap taken with my unmodded 1100D on another night (18mm, f4, ISO 800, 20 seconds - but slightly better seeing conditions).

11906832825_72141fe827_c.jpg

Archived