NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'Cosmos' remake

Laurie61

For those who may have missed the original back in 1980, "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage" was a documentary series that explored the universe as well as the history of scientific discovery. Sagan's topics of discussion ranged from Japanese folklore to debunking astrology to the ultimate fate of the stars and galaxies that surround us. -

Now Neil deGrasse Tyson is hosting a new version of the TV series called "Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey," first episode airing sometime in March on the National Geographic Channel. 

The original, Cosmos intro. 

New series

http://www.space.com/22058-cosmos-a-spacetimes-odyssey-with-neil-degrasse-tyson-revealed-video.html

I have the DVD of the original plus the updates that Carl Sagan later added. He is a really tough act to follow though, I don't think I've ever heard anybody speak so eloquently about space and the Universe as Carl.

At the time I don't think I fully appreciated Cosmos when it first aired. Even though I was a long standing astronomy nut even then I think I just took it in my stride.

Perhaps Sagan's philosophical point of view was lost on me at my young age. 

Well, sure the science can be updated but Sagan's deep insight into our journey is both timeless and peerless.

It's only now, as my crazy mind has slowed with maturity, that I fully appreciate his legacy.

Let's hope the new boy don't try standing on the shoulders of giants! :)

Possibly only the wonders series with Cox  has recreated, if not surpassed, the original. Sagan, the man who could make the phone book sound interesting, talking about a subject he was both knowledgeable and enthusiastic about, was a winning combination. :smiley: and not forgetting the sound track.

http://youtu.be/IDXp1tpPD38?t=6m35s 

Possibly only the wonders series with Cox  has recreated, if not surpassed, the original. Sagan, the man who could make the phone book sound interesting, talking about a subject he was both knowledgeable and enthusiastic about, was a winning combination. :smiley: and not forgetting the sound track.

http://youtu.be/IDXp1tpPD38?t=6m35s

I disagree. Cosmos was one of those rare events that, at least to me, changed everything from then on. I suspect that there is a generation of scientists, astronomers, astrophysicists and so on that can define the start of their careers with Cosmos. It's why we are still talking about it 34 years after it was first aired. I sincerely doubt that Brian Cox's, although, worthy programs will achieve anything near that (and lets not forget that we in the UK are in Cox's "home" audience). Cosmos was truly a worldwide event. It aired in 60 countries and reached 500 million people.I believe that it is PBS's most widely watched series.

I put it in the same class of TV programs as Attenborough's Life on Earth. It broke the mould in many, many ways.

I put it in the same class of TV programs as Attenborough's Life on Earth. It broke the mould in many, many ways.

I'd agree.

I still remember watching Life on Earth as a boy.

Life was different then. The whole family would sit round the TV to watch it. I imagine it had a broader audience than Cosmos. It was an Awakening.

It must deeply sadden Attenborough to see the state of the natural world these days.

At least we haven't found a way to destroy the cosmos...yet!

I'd agree.

I still remember watching Life on Earth as a boy.

Life was different then. The whole family would sit round the TV to watch it. I imagine it had a broader audience than Cosmos. It was an Awakening.

It must deeply sadden Attenborough to see the state of the natural world these days.

At least we haven't found a way to destroy the cosmos...yet!

Yes, that's a good point about the whole family watching a single program at the same time. Now we all "consume" and browse content in so many different ways and at different time.

I grew up in rural Ireland, so had access to tremendous dark skies (when it wasn't raining!). I used to lie on my back for hours and just look up at the sky. I wish I could go back in time with the kit that I have now!

I remember watching Cosmos avidly, as well as Life on Earth. Both programs kindled in me a fascination with how the Universe works, a fascination that has lasted all my life.

As for destroying the cosmos...thats only because we haven't worked out a way to get there yet!

Back on topic. I reckon that Neil deGrasse Tyson is the perfect person to step into Sagan's shoes. He has a similar engaging manner (although I personally found Sagan's stilted speech patterns a bit difficult. His passion and knowledge overcame that in spades though).  Neil has a similar passion, is truly eloquent and share on overwhelming desire to make science accessible. I think that he will be great at this.

http://www.space.com/24243-cosmos-tv-series-neil-degrasse-tyson.html

Archived