Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help viewing Jupiter.

Ccolvin968

I was wondering what sort of filter I should use to view Jupiter...

I can see it just fine, but it shows up very bright... So bright I can't see any detail.

It just ends up with a blurry looking outline, and I can kind of see detail if I use averted vision.

It's not my collimation because I have no issues with viewing the moon, or splitting stars.

Any ideas on what this might be and a solution to fix it?

I use a baader neodymium filter on Jupiter but a standard light pollution filter might do too. the main things with Jupiter are cooling, collimation, focus, seeing, magnification to match seeing, patience, perseverence. if you get these right and spend at least a half hour looking at he disc, then you should start to see good detail filtered or not.

I usually allow ample time for my scope to cool, the focus is as sharp as it is going to get, and the nights that I go out to view Jupiter, it's clear as can be. Maybe I'm just missing the last two. Apparently I can't collimate my scope because of its Byrd Jones design.... My fault for not looking it up like an idiot.

I find the best way of viewing is by starting with a low/medium power eyepiece and gradually increasing the power. I find it lets my eyes adjust and helps pick the detail out better on the planet. Just jumping in straight away with high magnification requires a lot of patience and persistence, and if viewing conditions aren't too good, then you can easily get disheartened.

Oh, and the collimation link above.

Archived