Galaxies and nebulae help

Hi all

I am new to all I this Nd I got my first telescope yesterday. What Lens would be best to look at galaxies and nebulae???

I have a 2x Barlow lens and and a super 25 wide Angle eye relief lens. Would this be good enough? Can I expect a good image with these

Cheers all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the scope?

Depending on the scope the eyepiece choice is highly relevant.

Would say that in general about 50x to 80x is fair for nebula, should be small but that increases the brightness.

For galaxies possibly much the same except Andromeda, M31, that is so big that it breaks the rules.

Still dependant on the scope as a 70mm means that the light grasp is low so you have to adjust.

I'm using  SK130p 5" reflector and when using the 25mm i can just about make out andromeda, bodes and cigar ones. Adding a 2x barlow I can't see them as a barlow would cut the light down too much to see the already faint objects. But with Orions nebulae I can get good views with the 25mm or 10mm and 10mm with the barlow, being a brighter. So if its bright you can add mag abet a slight light loss and if its dim and faint stick with low power. There's a lot of variables as to what you can use at any particular time.

Hope this helps 

There is no easy answer to this, as objects come in all shapes and sizes. The Andromeda galaxy, the Triangulum galaxy, and a few galaxy clusters will look best with a lower power wider field of view. Other than these and maybe a couple of others, galaxies are generally pretty small. Nebulae are tremendously variable in size. The north america nebula is huge, you would struggle to fit it in with even a very low power eyepiece at the other end of the scale, planetary nebulae are mostly tiny but can be fairly bright so you can use a higher magnification on them.

To see a range of objects you need a range of magnifications available, then you can optimise your view of each object. This thread is a good place to start http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

Welcome to SGL Ashwoody.

Please clear your mind of any pictures you might have seen on advertising blurbs.

These Ads. usually grossly exaggerate views of galaxies, and give you a very false impression of what to expect.

As already explained in the earlier thread posts, what you see will depend largely on the size of the Telescope mirror or Lens.

The former being a reflector, and the latter a refractor. 

However, any initial disappointment you may feel, should not deter you, or put you off your observing.

There are very many different objects to train your telescope on, and some will amaze you. An example is a Globular Cluster, which

are vast condensed star Islands containing thousands of stars, which appear in space like a glittering ball of Stars, hence the name Globe, shortened from Globular. 

There lots of them. Also Open Clusters, which are similar to  A Globular , but much more spread out, hence the name Open Clusters.

Multiple stars too are  interesting objects, these are sometimes gravitationally bound systems, which orbit each other around their common centres of gravity.

You can't see these motions of course, because their distances are too vast, and their movements can only be measured over great time periods.

Double stars are beautiful to observe, especially those with different colours, you might see a Blue one paired with a Gold one, such as the Double star Albireo, which is the Head of the Swan constellation known commonly as Cygnus.

I  would advise you also not just to glance at your deep sky target, but observe it for some time, making sure you have allowed your eyes to accustom to the dark. Don't go outside from a lit room, and expect to see faint objects, you will be disappointed. The more you study an object, the more detail will emerge, and you can also use your peripheral vision, which simply means, not looking directly at something, but looking from the corner of your eye, this method can reveal even fainter parts of the nebulae and such.

Buy yourself a seasonal Constellations Booklet, it will guide you to many deep sky subjects.

Be Patient, persevere, and don't give up.

Good Luck.

Ron.

The scope I have is the sky watcher explorer 130p (az) syncan go-to parabolic newtonian reflector telescope. Bit of a mouth full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not supposed to go in your mouth dude. Use your eyes! ;)

Archived