NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing session last night

CJ77

Finally got out last night for the first time in about 3 weeks, and despite a few lingering clouds and a smattering of frost, I managed to bag a few new targets!

First off I zoomed in on JupiterPosted ImagePosted Image, the old favourite, which held up well at 250x, before switching to the moon, and got some afocal snaps on the phone of the Sinus Iridium and the Jura Mts.

Then, as I was waiting for Orion to rise over the rooftops, I noticed Uranus on the goto, and got my first glimpse through a scope of a planet other than Jupiter! Not the most spectacular of sights, but just knowing what it was and the sheer distance away it is makes it quite breathtaking!

Then trained the scope onto the Orion Nebula for the first time, and spent a while just drinking in the view, before doing a quick light polluted sketch.

Finally, I went galaxy hunting, and got a glimpse of my first galaxies other than Andromeda, namely Bode's and the Cigar. Then had a look for Triangulum, but couldn't spot it, possibly due to the moonlight, so called it a night as I was losing sensation in my toes. A productive night!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better than us CJ77 but sounds like similar conditions.  We did the moon and Jupiter.  My friend Barry's first telescope viewing and he was amazed we could see all four moons.  Glad to say despite having dodgy eyes (even waiting a cornea transplant) after failing to see much with his thick glasses he removed them and had great success.  Not only the 32mm EP but also the 12mm.  I was worried he'd see nothing so well chuffed.

Thanks for sharing your Uranus experience.  As soon as conditions are right and I get the GOTO working well I'm going to track it down.  As you say it might only be a speck of light but we know it is a close friend (in stellar scale)  :smiley:

Also envious of your galaxy finds.  Last night we couldn't even find Andromeda.  But long drifts of very high cloud, the moonlight and a neighbours lights I think were responsible and not my lack of skill  :laugh:

Cheers for your report, like you I found Jupiter was in good view at 240x, although others have reported anything above 150x was poor last night. Moonlight definitely didn't help with viewing anything other than the obvious, and a few doubles, I certainly found trying to find any faint DSOs was a waste of time. 

Phil

Good night here too. Started around 4.00pm with a sighting of the very thin crescent of Venus on the day of inferior conjunction. I read that it would be 5 degrees above the sun so gave it a go not really expecting to see it but there she was flitting between the trees and houses opposite.

Later the moon meant only viewing itself or Jupiter, as other have said. Jupiter showed good seeing so decided to get up around 2.00am when the moon would be gone.

Great views of Jupiter with lots of detail. The GRS with a distinct ruddy colour and sitting in its 'bay'. The slightly darker 'polar' regions gave the planet a distinct 3D feel. A blue filter increased contrast but destroyed the colour.

Callisto was flirting with occultation for about half an hour travelling almost along the planet's limb before finally disappearing.

Tried Mars: glimpses of the polar cap but no other detail.

Ended up with a short stroll through the Virgo galaxies with the Messiers clear and also some of the NGC objects including the twin 'Eyes'.

Getting cold around 4.30 so didn't linger for Saturn - there'll be other times.

The next few months will be good as Saturn rises earlier and Mars increases in size. And the whole 'spring galaxy area' is there to explore too.

A good night

Thanks for the nice comments folks. To be honest, the deep sky stuff showed little or no detail due to the moon and the light pollution, but I guess I just dropped lucky with the clouds - makes a nice change!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well CJ you inspired me so many thanks.  Last night the clouds just wouldn't disappear so at midnight I hit the sack.  Awake at 5:20 crept downstairs, a cuppa and had a study of Stellarium.  Mars to the south and possibly a sniff of Saturn but near horizon.

Neighbours up and lights raging so with my 3 EPs in pockets and the trusty refractor over my shoulder I made my way up the playing fields away from village lights.  Very muddy (note to self beware slipping and breaking telescope  :sad: ).   Up the hill and set up.  Still a bigger hill to the south so thought may only get Mars.  Lined up as best I could and poked around with my 32mm.  Now that bright object must be Mars.  Yup got it.  In with the 12mm.  OMG Mars has created a ring system overnight.  In fact it looks just like Saturn.  WOW it is saturn :rolleyes:   And eventually got it in the 5mm.  Could claim seeing the gap in the rings but with a little breeze up the hill and thus vibration that might just be my imagination.  Moved onto Mars.  Ocre disc with a little variation of shade.  Thought I'd chuck in a filter I had dropped into my pocket but just then someone turned off mars!  It just vanished.  I looked away from the telescope to see a large white cloud/mist rising rapidly into the sky.  Weird but the light was already rising to the east so headed back home.  Glanced to the west and could see Jupiter "Morning old friend" I said as I stepped through the gate at 06:38.  

A great one hour session :grin:  

Finally, I went galaxy hunting, and got a glimpse of my first galaxies other than Andromeda, namely Bode's and the Cigar. Then had a look for Triangulum, but couldn't spot it, possibly due to the moonlight, so called it a night as I was losing sensation in my toes. A productive night!!

Yeah, M33 is hard with any moonlight or light pollution. I only see it at all - and poorly at that - when it's very dark.

Archived