Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus spotted near inferior conjunction!

kerrylewis

What no comments? I thought it was marvellous to see it at inferior conjunction anyway!

Jupiter good tonight. The moon is making anything else difficult but Jupiter is very steady with lots of detail. Blue filter helped to bring out a bit more.

Pete

The sun was safely out of the way. I had read that Venus would be 5 deg above the sun at inferior conjunction so I scanned SW with the bins at about sunset and there she was. Lovely sight with the crescent 'pointing' straight down

Kerry

Pete

The sun was safely out of the way. I had read that Venus would be 5 deg above the sun at inferior conjunction so I scanned SW with the bins at about sunset and there she was. Lovely sight with the crescent 'pointing' straight down

Kerry

i would loved to have imaged that, i have caught venus as a fairly thin crescent but not that thin! i guess you will scanning again when she pops back up in the morning?

Yes - just need a clear morning.

I was really pleased as I didn't really expect to see it. I expected to be swamped with responses ... Ah well.....

i think there is so much "traffic" on here these days posts can easily get missed and drop down the page before people can comment on them.

i think there is so much "traffic" on here these days posts can easily get missed and drop down the page before people can comment on them.

You're right. I often miss things first time around.

Strange perhaps but I was as pleased with that sighting as almost anything else I've seen. I love the planets and it's so nice to bag a personal 'first'

I did see Venus for the first time about two weeks ago. I always saw it in the sky as it was on my way back home but I didn't even think about looking at it with the telescope. One day I realized I could see it from the balcony so I went for my telescope. it was probably 30 minutes after sunset and at that time it was a thin crescent. I saw it two days  later and it was even thinner. Beautiful. I haven't seen her again :(

Yes - just need a clear morning.

I was really pleased as I didn't really expect to see it. I expected to be swamped with responses ... Ah well.....

Apologies for belated congratulations, Kerry! There's a lot of content in all these folders and easy to miss some threads. I posted a Report of Reports a few weeks back and got nothing back.......made me paranoid I had offended someone somewhere!

I'll be keen to spot our closest planets in the mornings with the new bins. I have a nice morning site for that where the eastern horizon is fairly flat and unobstructed. As a huge bonus there is a fence at just the right height to prop the elbows on :)

Archived