Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange blurred lines coming from Jupiter

Hi guys a little help please,

First clear night I've been able to get outside in weeks and immediatley I've run into something odd that I've never noticed before.

When viewing Jupiter I see four blurred lines going through the planet and out towards the edge of the EP (it gradually fades off) and also a slight blur area around Jupiter itself.

Whilst I was able to see the Cloud Bands & Moons clearly enough these odd anomolies have me puzzled, Last time I viewed this Planet I'm sure it was crystal clear, hope I've exaplained myself properly, kinda hard to describe!

Thanks

Have you 4 vanes on the spider that holds the secondary mirror in place?

Soiunds like diffraction spikes caused by these.

It's normal.

Yeah got those, did'nt think of that.

sounds like a combination of moisture in the atmosphere and scope not cooled down properly 

I left the Scope for 30minutes before venturing outside as I've read on here about the "Cool Down" phase they need to go through, I was using it for a good 20minutes. Could be moisture, really cant remember what the air was like last time I was out with it, defintaley colder tonight, 6c-7c.

It's not about air temperature but moisture. It is called "dew point". It is a temperature at which point you start getting condensation with the current air moisture content. If the air is very moist, dew point is near the ambient temperature and when your scope cools below the ambient temperature (due to radiating heat into space) , you will get condensation (or frost). Best way to see your optics are frozen/dewed over is to look with a light. second best is to point the scope at a bright target and look for the halo. 

Archived