Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LX90 LX SERIES CLUTCH SLIP MOD

Having piggy backed my 80mm Triplet to my LX90 if found the extra load to be just too much for the wet clutch system, having perused the web I came across a company in the states " Peterson Engineering" who offer a clutch uprgrade. The kit comprises a rubberised cork circular shim that you fit behind the Dec gear. The thought of doing the mod was a bit daunting, but it was actuallly very easy with the instructions supplied.  I would highly recommend fitting the kit whether you have slip problems or not as once fitted you only need to lightly tighten  the clutch release handle very slighty and you have a firm lock on the scope. I have taken some pictures of the replacement process to show just how easy the mod is.

The mod also takes a lot of the tension off the small threads on the lock knob as its only needs a very light tighten to secure the scope, instead of having to really tighten it up to hold position and risk damaging the threads which then becomes an essential repair at a much bigger cost.

1. Set the scope at a natural rest position and unsrcrew completely the dec clutch knob anD cover plate taking care not to drop the small spacer behind the plate.

clutch 1

2. Carefully remove the outer plate.

clutch 2

3. Gently pull forward the large dec drive gear, and push the spring loaded brass drive gear down. This bit was a bit tricky as the gear is a tightish fit.  To aid removal I inserted two allen keys behind the gear and gently working from side to side to pull the gear forward until it can be lifted out.

clutch 3

4. Thoroughly clean all grease from the clutch surfaces using a dry cloth and some carburettor cleaner or solvent sprayed onto the cloth.

5.  Dry off surfaces and then slip gasket over the drive refit all the parts in reverse order cleaning any greasey fingerprints as you go.

clutch 4

6.  Refit the dec clutch knob and thats you all done,you will immediately feel the difference and have the confidence of no chance of slipping whilst imaging.

clutch final

The total cost of the mod was just short of £21  so well worth the money.

website for parts www.petersonengineering.com

Good job Stuart, I did this about three years ago to my 10" LX200R , never been any bother but read a couple of old posts on CN of the cork disintergrating and dropping into the Dec gears but they may have changed the material now, checked mine recently

and it looks fine.

Dave

I did the mod on the 8" LX90 that I used to have a few years ago - it did make a positive difference.

Another mod worth doing that is provided by Peterson Engineering is the EZ Focus kit - this makes the focusing a lot smoother and significantly reduces the amount of backlash.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to get these kits to buy them direct from PE in the USA - when I bought them it would have cost me twice as much if I had got them via a UK supplier. 

Thanks for that Mike, I opted for the Moonlite focuser system, it really is a Rolls Royce product,  their quality is first class,I cant recommend them highly enough,  they are so good I bought a second. for my piggyback imaging scope.

I  also used their electric focus motors and the digital read our ( DRO) so i can work inside. You can buy through Ian King imaging who is another good guy to deal with or direct from Focuser.com , but be wary of the customs charges ouch !   The Owner Ron Newman is a great guy to work with and done a couple of specific flanges for me to fit other scopes.

Scope setup 1

http://www.focuser.com

Archived