Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner v Explorer

I will be buying a 10" or 12" reflector soon and have been looking at the Skywatcher Skyliner and Explorer ranges. My thoughts at the moment are to choose the 12" Goto from one of these but I don't know what the pros and cons are of the different types of mount.

Are these scopes aimed at different types of useage or is it simply a case of a preference for one type of mount over another?

In the 10" and 12" sizes, there is no difference in the optics for the Skywatcher Newtonians so it really is down to user preference. I have the 10" Skyliner and use it on the Dob mount for visual use and mount it on an NEQ6 (dovetail bar and rings required) for imaging at longer focal lengths.

Oh no! That means I now want both!

Would the NE6Q work with the Flextube version of the Dob? I'm thinking I could buy the non-Goto Skywatcher Flextube plus an NE6Q mount for not much more than the fully loaded Explorer.

I don't recall ever having seen a Flextube Dob tube mounted on an NEQ6. I suspect the 12" would be too heavy anyway. The Flextubes are a bit heavier than the solid versions. Doesn't mean it can't be done though.

In the 10" and 12" sizes, there is no difference in the optics for the Skywatcher Newtonians so it really is down to user preference. I have the 10" Skyliner and use it on the Dob mount for visual use and mount it on an NEQ6 (dovetail bar and rings required) for imaging at longer focal lengths.

........2 inches maybe? That will make a  difference to the surface area and light capture. I'm sure there would be a difference, if ever I stepped up 2" more!

After my short spell with a GEM/EQ I cant see myself ever putting a Newtonian on anything apart from a Dobsonian mount. The amount of times members write in with problems with alignment, power issues, and just being able to reach the EP in some situations?. The ease and grace of the Newt/Dob combination just cant be beaten. If your into astro-photography, then you have no choice but to take the EQ option. 

........2 inches maybe? That will make a  difference to the surface area and light capture. I'm sure there would be a difference, if ever I stepped up 2" more!

After my short spell with a GEM/EQ I cant see myself ever putting a Newtonian on anything apart from a Dobsonian mount. The amount of times members write in with problems with alignment, power issues, and just being able to reach the EP in some situations?. The ease and grace of the Newt/Dob combination just cant be beaten. If your into astro-photography, then you have no choice but to take the EQ option. 

Ah yes, silly me. And there I didn't think anyone could misunderstand that. :rolleyes::D

Of course what I meant was that there is no difference between the Skyliner and Explorer versions in each aperture size. Both 250PX's are 254/1200 and both 300P's are 305/1500. This differs from the 200P where the Skyliner is 200/1200 and the Explorer 200/1000 and the 150P where the Skyliner is 150/1200 and the Explorer 150/750.

DRT......I read somewhere as to why the 8" was the UKs best selling Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount, but can I find that article again, I`m still looking.

The Price for one, puts the Skyliner into a decent bracket and  with very good results reported by its users. A music record/ CD  gets to No1 in the UK charts, on sales alone,  but you and I would probably disagree on today's No1 choice. The article about the 8" 200P describes how an f/6 200P is well suited for its use, the wide range of lenses it can deal with, its portability, the list went on. I don't  intend to upgrade. the extra 2" to a 10" would on paper, be better, but with old eyes, who knows how long I can see and at what levels I can achieve. The size of this telescope sits perfectly under its cover and consumes 53cm Diameter floor space, chest height. I'm sure its still available in uk inc p&p for £279.99. You've already got all the lenses you need.

Charic,

I have acted on your advice and ordered the 200p to sample what it is like to step-up from my 130p. From looking at new v second-hand prices it appears I can't lose!

Crossed fingers for clear skyes next week :wink:

Derek

Charic,

I have acted on your advice and ordered the 200p to sample what it is like to step-up from my 130p. From looking at new v second-hand prices it appears I can't lose!

Crossed fingers for clear skyes next week :wink:

Derek

........I did exactly the same, taken from the feedback from my original posts, and what others have said about the scope, and in general to what I have read on the web. I have no problems with my telescope. I`d be surprised if you didn't enjoy it. *WARNING* The size of the box(s) will shock you  :eek:

Archived