Replacing my diagonal

Hello,

I am looking to replace the the 45 degree diagonal on my Skywatcher startravel 102 scope with a 90 degree diagonal, trying yo save my knees and back a little.

I am looking at this one (once back in stock):

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/skywatcher-di-electric-star-diagonal.html

But as i have had great advice previously from these forums, i thought i would ask your opinions.

I currently have a range of 1.25" EPs, but i like the idea of being able to use both 1.25" and 2" EPs, as i plan on upgrading my EPs to better quality ones over the next year or so.

Any advice is appreciated.

regards,

David

These are pretty good and it comes with a 1.25 adapter :smiley: very high spec for the cash £88.

I use this one with some pretty hefty eyepieces and I have never had any issues whatsoever.

I get the feeling from reading other posts that a diagonal does not have much influence on what you see (within reason)

Mind you, you are a superhero so your eyes may be able to see subtle differences :grin:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p89_TS-2--Star-Diagonal---99--Dielectric---Compression-Ring---2-.html

Thanks for the responses, i will take a look at them.

Just a quick questions, is there any performance or build quality difference between those you have mentioned and the SW one of FLO?

Reason i ask, is that if they are all the same i would probably order the one from FLO as i have had good experiences with ordering from them and like to give repeat business to companies that i have built a level of trust with. Unless the other diagonals are better quality than what i am looking at.

Thanks for the responses, i will take a look at them.

Just a quick questions, is there any performance or build quality difference between those you have mentioned and the SW one of FLO?

Reason i ask, is that if they are all the same i would probably order the one from FLO as i have had good experiences with ordering from them and like to give repeat business to companies that i have built a level of trust with. Unless the other diagonals are better quality than what i am looking at.

I don't think there is a great difference between them, It is also good to support UK businesses when one can

I recently bought a Skywatcher Mercury scope that came with the 45 degree prism diagonal and I think that the standard Skywatcher 90 degree mirror diagonal (that came with my Skywatcher Mak) is significantly better in image quality.

I have the 2" Revelation/GSO dielectric diagonal which also comes with a 1.25" adapter. I have the one with the SCT fitting although either version is available now for £79.99.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_Diagonals.htm

They are solidly made and you'll see a number of decent reviews on here about them if you search. I was originally after the WO 2" one from FLO but got bored of waiting for it to come back into stock although I'm more than happy with the Revelation one.

As someone has already posted and as I have read/been told a number of times in the past, most Diagonals within this price range perform similarly so I doubt there will be much noticeable difference whichever one you end up choosing.

James

I've got this Skywatcher diagonal.Go for it-it's ace.I've also got a Celestron prism diagonal which,strangely enough,seems to improve the colour fringing on bright objects through my ST80.Or maybe it's just wishful thinking!!

Cheers, John.

Archived