NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mcmodified

Okay, silly title, but been playing about with the Maksutov getting it right for myself

A while back i let my beloved 180 pro go to a new home, as i just was not getting to use it so much, and promptly replaced it with a very nice used 150 pro, how strange you say, but i have started to dislike the EQ mounts, and wanted a mak on my AZ4, the 180 was to heavy (yes i tried it) but a 150 is just perfect, nearly grab an go!

First problem with a mak on an AZ is the finder scope ends up at the 8 oclock position, so i have added a second finder shoe, allowing a finder to work on AZ or EQ, works a treat :cool:

Second little mod was to use a drinks bottle cap to give a bit of finer focus control, so an Oasis cap trimmed out to fit using a model making knife, this gives a knurled edge to tease focus using edge of the thumb.

Overall i am very pleased with this outfit, very stable, ideal for my Luna A-focal work, or prime focus with DSLR, i can see me sticking with this set up for many years to come

post-8850-0-63892400-1388687077_thumb.jp

post-8850-0-61622300-1388687112_thumb.jp

Second little mod was to use a drinks bottle cap to give a bit of finer focus control, so an Oasis cap trimmed out to fit using a model making knife, this gives a knurled edge to tease focus using edge of the thumb.

Now that's my kind of technology. Respect. :icon_salut:

Les

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice! As much as I like the 180mm Maksutovs, a 150mm Mak is no slouch!

Ant

I have noticed the difference with less aperture, but can live with it and its better to have a scope you use a lot, rather than one larger scope that only comes out a few times a year, might be adding a motor to the focuser soon

Archived