What dslr??

Skooby

Hi all im a beginner in the world of astrophotography and I'm looking for a good but affordable dslr camera and I've come across this 18mp camera the Canon EOS 600D (Rebel T3i) Astro Modified camera from this company http://m.cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html it sounds like a real good camera in the description it's. And best of all it's under my £400 odd limit at £385 has anyone used this camera if so is it good for astrophotography? Or if not can you recommend any other good cameras around my price range of £400 that would be better thanks Kevin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all im a beginner in the world of astrophotography and I'm looking for a good but affordable dslr camera and I've come across this 18mp camera the Canon EOS 600D (Rebel T3i) Astro Modified camera from this company http://m.cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html it sounds like a real good camera in the description it's. And best of all it's under my £400 odd limit at £385 has anyone used this camera if so is it good for astrophotography? Or if not can you recommend any other good cameras around my price range of £400 that would be better thanks Kevin.

That is a first class modded camera for AP, my only concern is about the processing power required to deal with the large files, I guess that this is more computer related than camera though.

A.G

You can get an 1100D body for a little over £200 if you look here: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-1100D-Body  You can use it as it stands for a while and then decide if you want to have it modded.  There are a couple of suppliers who will do the work for you - around £150 should see the job done.

Thanks for your info guys I've looked at the options and decided to go with the mod'd canon 600d it has a few good reviews and image quality seems to be very good. And thanks bizibilder the 1100d seems a good camera also but 600d seems more right for me so thanks anyway. Just look forward to snapping the night sky and hopefully get some clear skies. Happy new year to you all. :)

Me too, I have an un modded 600d. There's so much to get you're head around with AP I thought a decent camera they could be used for other stuff would be a good move. The moveable screen is a real winner too. If you time your purchase well too, you can get it for a song. I still get emails from camelcamelcamel about price drops and there was a recent but brief price of £250!! At that price it would be rude not to!

Clear skys over at a Maesteg.

Hi Scooby. I have an unmodded 600d which is excellent for everyday use. I'm yet to use it for AP as only recently purchased the necessary T ring adapter but I've seen some fantastic images on here from some users even with unmodified ones. Personally speaking I'm going to stick with an unmodded camera and then if I do get into AP in a big way I'm going to pick up a modified 1100d body to hopefully achieve some even better results. But for now in sticking with the camera I use on a day to day basis.

We are actually not far apart geographically...... I live near Pontyclun. Ive been observing for about 2yrs and it sounds like we're both at a similar stage with our journeys into AP so it will ,be great to see how our results compare....... Well at least when the weather in S.Wales gets better anyway!!

Hope to see you at one of the Blaenavon meets in 2014. Where do you tend to observe locally anyway?

James

Wxsatuser do they still work well unmodded then?

Unmodded cams struggle with Ha, it is something that is a given.

There are a lot of objects you can aim for that do not need the Ha.

Of course if you want to get those nice nebulae then you will need the mod.

Thanks for your info guys I've looked at the options and decided to go with the mod'd canon 600d it has a few good reviews and image quality seems to be very good. And thanks bizibilder the 1100d seems a good camera also but 600d seems more right for me so thanks anyway. Just look forward to snapping the night sky and hopefully get some clear skies. Happy new year to you all. :)

Happy New Year and congratulations on a great camera choice. I'm using a 60D (very similar to the 600D) and it is a superb little DSLR. The image quality is impressive and the high megapixel count means that you can crop in to the image pretty effectively. Noise is an issue, especially with longer exposures, but that is the compromise with a 'cheap' DSLR. I look forward to graduating to an Atik when I feel I can justify the expense! I have recently modded the 60D and while a lack of clear skies has meant very little imaging time, the few frames I've shot so far have been vastly better than the un-modded results. I hope to post some modded images fairly soon. The only downside is that the modding has rendered the camera basically useless for anything but Astro... Focus is only possible through live view and the world has a glorious rich reddish tinge to it!

Clear Skies and I look forward to seeing some results from your new 600D soon.

Thanks guys for all your comments it's been so much help I've now ordered the modded 600d and can't wait to get the rest of my setup. I've decided on this scope http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-250p-ds-ota.html

With a coma corrector But another question I'll be adding on here is what mount will work well with this scope I'm thinking of the skywatcher neq6 pro mount or the heq5 pro mount? What do you think? Ill add the question to the equipment section just in case thanks.

Hi, the standard advice regarding the best first scope for AP is the Skywatcher 80ED-Pro, with the dedicated focal reducer, as it's shorter focal length and smaller size make it easier to cope with. Obviously it depends what you are intending to photograph. Only the larger galaxies would work with the 80, but there is still an awful lot up there to fill the frame!

I took this advice and am very happy that I did. It's a steep learning curve, but I feel as though I have progressed along it at a reasonable pace (weather permitting!!!) and have really really enjoyed the journey. There is always another bit of kit on the wish list, so be prepared to drop quite a bit of cash to get to a usable and reliable set up that let's you achieve some images to be proud of. Guiding will be the top of the list I'm sure!

Mount wise, the HEQ5 Pro works for me. It's lighter than the NEQ6, so unless you have an observatory for permanent set up, this is a definite advantage. Laptop control of mount, guiding and camera will complete the set up.

Whatever you go with, good luck and I look forward to seeing some results soon.

Thanks photogav for the advice the ed80 pro is a good choice just a bit out of my price range though but thanks. And with the heq5 will that be able to handle the weight of the 250pds once camera etc is added? But that was my 1st choice in mounts. Thanks.

A 250 pds scope with maybe a guide scope, cameras and so on might be a bit too much for the heq5 to handle, if I was you I'd go for the neq6, one on astro buy and sell at he moment for 650 pounds, second hand of course but looks very good condition.

A 250 pds scope with maybe a guide scope, cameras and so on might be a bit too much for the heq5 to handle, if I was you I'd go for the neq6, one on astro buy and sell at he moment for 650 pounds, second hand of course but looks very good condition.

Really thanks red dwalf I will look into that. I was just told on another forum that the heq5 might not be good enough and go for the neq6 and they had a 10" on that mount so can't get better than that. Thanks for your help.

When imaging it's always a good not to overload the mount to it's limit and leave alittle bit of it's capabilities in reserve.

Some info on mount capabilities on the first light optics website, click on the mount your interested in and there's some info on visual and imaging capabilites.

Archived