SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Home made Heritage 130p ligght shroud

My ever present street lights spurred me on today to get on with making a light shield for our Heritage 130p. Weather garbage today anyway.

I used double folded back kite material, super strong and very light blocking and very cheap.

The top has an elastic waist which I pass under the red dot finder and over the focuser.

Down the front is velco so from the focuser down it closes together.

It can either be left on with the fron open or easily removed each session.

Looking down the open tube the material is not interfering with light collection.

Not yet tested but anything must be an improvement when sitting 15 feet from an LED street light.

Front

gallery_28282_2744_139917.jpg

Side

gallery_28282_2744_416099.jpg

From front open

It has slipped down from the top but that is because I pulled the velco open.

gallery_28282_2744_762670.jpg

Kite material £8.50 (2 metres x 1.5) from Ebay

Elastic £1.90

Button toggles I already had in my button salvaged collection

Sewing machine and thread already had.

I did not want to go down the cardboard or foam route as they tend to be mounted inside the tube.

This kite material makes brilliant black out blind material when double folded.

Lets see how long it is before I can report if there is an improvement when observing :)

Got to test this out this evening.

There is a slight increase in contrast when around 90 degrees to the nearest street light so better but not huge.

The huge difference is when facing away from the street light. Previously to see m42 I could only use my 32mm eye piece and averted vision but today in the 16mm maxvision I could see it straight off with loads of dust Puff inverted vision was not needed and there was a huge increase in additional stars visible all around.

So yes a mod well worth doing.

I love DYI and this one qualifies as a real winner.

You gotta admire those who are doing all those little things that a guy/gal can do for themselves that result in a much improved astro experience.

Two thumbs up, H-K

Regards

Bob

I did not want to go down the cardboard or foam route as they tend to be mounted inside the tube.

They don't have to be, though! I didn't make mine like that - I didn't like the idea of that either!

Looks a good shroud! Kite material ... I must remember that one...

Archived