Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters?

A few friends have recommended the skywatcher light pollution filter to reduce some of the problems I'm having with LP and improve my viewing of nebulae.

Is this a good choice or are there any other filters people think are better, without spending a small fortune?

Thanks,

Rik

LED lights are apparently hard to block and you'd probably have had to think about a different solution, whereas standard orange sodium lights can be filtered.

At the cheaper end of the market (£20-ish) there are filters such as the Skywatcher LP filter and closer to the £45/£50 range are the Baader UHC-S and Neodymium filters.  The latter two are regularly well spoken of, but as I don't have very much in the way of light pollution in the first place I'll leave it to others to compare their merits.

James

The Neodymium is a good filter - I was out last night at home and left it in and got some good views.  When I go out to dark sites I tend to just use it on the planets as it can tease out a little more detail.

The UHC filter is useful for nebula but didn't really give me an advantage last night from home - when I last used it at a dark site though it made quite a difference to the amount of nebulosity visible in certain targets

Archived