Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying a CCD

Kenza

Can someone suggest a CCD camera in the price range of around 3000 EUR?

I was thinking of buying the ATIK 383L mono with motorized filter wheel and case for 2500 eur ( from Telescope-Service). That way I'll have 500 eur for the filters.

Camera is good. Manufacturer is good. I do not know which wheel you are talking about but I have positive experience from the SX one. 500 for filters seems on the low side but start with a good set of NB and add LRGB when funds materialize. Th e8300 sensor is my choice for a reasonably priced CCD.

Now, what are you going to stick it on in terms of telescope? This is an important factor!

/per

I think its a pretty good match as well. As for filter you need to determine what you are wanting to image. If you are wanting to image nebula then you need to pick if you like the narrowband colors or the natural color? Also if your LP is pretty bad NB filters will really cut through all but the worst LP. If you like the more natural colors go for a HaLRGB set. The Ha will help add a lot of detail as well as bring out the fainter reds that are out there. When it comes to the Ha filter. 6nm will be much better than the 12nm but only if your budget allows it. 

Agreed. The EFW2 is excellent. I run two here and they do get on with it!

I've never tried an Atik 8300 but you get lots of chip for the price. The Atik 4000 is also a great camera. It is probably faster than the 383 since it has larger pixels. The square chip is good for making the most of a limited image circle, too.

Olly

Agreed. The EFW2 is excellent. I run two here and they do get on with it!

I've never tried an Atik 8300 but you get lots of chip for the price. The Atik 4000 is also a great camera. It is probably faster than the 383 since it has larger pixels. The square chip is good for making the most of a limited image circle, too.

Olly

I've considered the Atik 4000 but I get a much wider FOV with the 383L on my Equinox.

Why is there such a big difference in price between the 1.25" and 2" filters??? I mean, an Astronomik set of 1.25" LRGB costs 270 while the 2" set costs 500 EUR. If i go for the Atik 383L than I need to buy the 2" filters, while the 4000 runs fine with 1.25". At least that's what everybody is saying. Is there another cheaper brand than Astronomik but still has quality LRGB filters?

If you get a QSI camera with an integrated filter wheel you can run the 1.25" filters as the filters are physically very close to the sensor. Atik are bringing out integrated filter wheels soon, so maybe you can hold on and get one of those when they are released.

Various people have tried 1.25" filters with the 8300 chip and as long as you get them as close as possible and use good flats then it has worked. But I can't for the life of me remember who was doing it.

Not sure why you'd want to consider even cheaper filters when you are buying a quality CCD. That's like buying a decent car then putting on cheap nasty tyres. If you can't afford the decent filters, then I personally think you're wasting your cash.

The surface area of 2" filters is more than 2.5x the area of 1.25" filters, so I'd expect them to be more than 2x price.

I noticed that Ian King in UK has some bundle deals atm with Atik 383L + filter wheel + filters (4 x 2" or 7 x 36mm) for around your budget. Don't know how good the filters are though.

Adrian

If you get a QSI camera with an integrated filter wheel you can run the 1.25" filters as the filters are physically very close to the sensor. Atik are bringing out integrated filter wheels soon, so maybe you can hold on and get one of those when they are released.

Various people have tried 1.25" filters with the 8300 chip and as long as you get them as close as possible and use good flats then it has worked. But I can't for the life of me remember who was doing it.

Not sure why you'd want to consider even cheaper filters when you are buying a quality CCD. That's like buying a decent car then putting on cheap nasty tyres. If you can't afford the decent filters, then I personally think you're wasting your cash.

I agree. I was just thinking if there was a parallel to Astronomik in quality but slightly cheaper. What about Baader? I know it's not Astronomik but has anybody compared them?

Archived