Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Resolving Jupiter's Moons

Superdavo

Hello everyone!

I'm hardly a good planet photographer, and can't hope to capture this much detail, but I'm curious. What would it take to actually resolve the moons of Jupiter? I know it's been done

PD46993075_Jupiter_1991834i.jpg

Of course, this one has a lot of detail, that would need many years of experience, a perfect location, on a perfect day etc, how much would it take to simply show the disks? 

Here's a test during one imaging session, of Europa (DMK 21AU618.AS, average seeing, F/20, 10,000 frames, of which 5,000 stacked)

post-29419-0-76954000-1388151888_thumb.p

Has anyone done it?

David

gallery_7987_2065_84735.jpg

With good seeing, a high frame rate cam and ~9m focal length, this is the best I have achieved. Was with my old DBK so would expect to get a little more detail with the more sensitive DMK618 I am now using, not shot any moons with it yet though.

Hi,

To resolve the moons under good seeing conditions you need atleast 14"of aperture, at about 5 m of FL the dots become discs.

A.G

I don't agree with the 14" comment as proved in my pic. I've seen many others (Stuart, Neil etc ) with <14" showing the moons as clear discs.

Hi,

To resolve the moons under good seeing conditions you need atleast 14"of aperture, at about 5 m of FL the dots become discs.

A.G

Hi Freddie,

I don't think that there is any disagreement there, I did say that above 5 meters of FL the moons become discs and you were at 9 Meters. To resolve discernable detail on the moons about 14" of aperture is needed. A 14" SCT is nearing Meters of FL native but has much higher resolving power than an 8" or even your excellent 9.25", it can start to show detail.

Regards,

A.G

You also need super seeing as well, a rare thing indeed in the the UK - England especially.

I agree 100%, a true dark site and good seeing is essential. Very few locations in UK are true dark site and even fewer have good seeing.

A.G

I am not convinced that a dark site has anything to do with it.

Chris

This is not strictly true, however as the background sky flux is also a function of the focal ratio and in planetary with the use of a barlow the F ratio is imvreased  by some margin the background flux is  reduced to some extent but this does not mean that given a chance a darksite is not preferable to a white zone. Very few if any modern  observatories are located in a white zone.

A.G

• 1 month later...

Archived