NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dew controler help

I would be wary about using it outdoors if that is your intention.

Not without proper RCD protection, which will add substantially to the cost.

Mains electricity is dangerous, especially in  damp/Wet condition, and I would suggest you don't risk it.

Inside an Obsy. changes the picture a bit, but outdoors, No for me.

Ron.

Thanks all for the replies.The scope is in a observatory,with the electrics fitted by my mate,thats his job by trade.

Presume it's got the essentials,i'm not that clued up on the electric side of things.

Sooty

Thanks all for the replies.The scope is in a observatory,with the electrics fitted by my mate,thats his job by trade.

Presume it's got the essentials,i'm not that clued up on the electric side of things.

Sooty

If your mate is a qualified Sparky, then he'll know if it's a safe installation for you in the Obs.

Much better in there, than outdoors.

Running the DC outdoors would work, as long as the run isn't too long, and the cable capacity  is sufficient to prevent  too large a Volt drop.

If you are powering Dew Straps, It isn't too crucial, but powering a CCD Camera, Mount Drive etc. could give you a problem.

I know many people use, and have used mains powered PSU's outdoors and come to no harm.

However, the fact remains that there is an element of risk, and I'm more concerned about the

ones who might eventually fall victim . Hopefully never of course.

Ron.

Archived