NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Final bits: Filters and 3xbarlow?

Well been a short journey but I've got my refractor and reflector, six EPs including the 32m Tele Vue which due to cloud I've only looked at trees a mile away with the refractor - but it looks good.   Can't wait to see a dark sky again.  So if I can ask for a little bit more help please  :smiley:

So final bits to be complete for Xmas:

Are these filters any good?  

Deluxe Stargazers Filter Set

Product code: FT155
Manufacturer: Orion US widescreen-centre.co.uk/Products/Deluxe_Stargazers_Filter_Set.html

£125.00

I thought I'd stick to the strategy of buy few but quality - but this looks tempting.

And finally I'm thinking of a 3xBarlow having at last had some success with the two supplied with scopes 2xBarlows.  I wondered how much quality varies and what sort of price I should go for.  Most I've found seem cheap.  Appreciate they are fairly simple but the lense quality must be an issue.  And I'd like to try a 3x with the webcam.  Any suggestion of a quality one but below a £120?

Any thoughts very welcome  :cool:  Thanks

The Televue 3x Barlow is about £88.  I have the 2x which works very well.  Am hoping Father Christmas brings me the Meade 3x shorty which is around £40 but if he doesn't I may splash out on the Televue.

Hi Nigel, I believe the Orion set is very good quality and a good varied selection of filters, which includes the variable polarzing filter, not often included in sets.  Yes, i think it is a great starter set for testing the waters, so to speak. I would still question the likely frequency of using the coloured filters, as personally I have never got on with them.  I do use coloured filters for solar work though.

Archived