Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first time stacking with Registax (Jupiter)

AstroEd

Well had my third broadcast tonight was not as good as my first two but I learned a few new things and now know what my alignment issue was so it should not be an issue in the future.
Here is a Shot of Jupiter on 11" EdgeHD with 2.5 PowerMate and Mallincam Hyper Plus. Thank you budman1961 for all your help.
This stack is the best 1874 frames out of 2204 it is also my first successful stacked image.

post-6620-0-29422300-1387351127_thumb.jp

post-6620-0-17617100-1387351140_thumb.jp

You are in the foothills of planetary imaging my friend and it is important to follow the correct path. Autostakkert is the preferred stacking software these days and registax is used for wavelets.

Hope you don't mind me tweaking one of your images. :smiley:

gallery_4016_739_12234.png

Here is a tutorial for the free image editing software "image analyser" if you are interested :

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/162217-processing-jupiter-with-image-analyser-tutorial/?hl=%2Bimage+%2Banalyser+%2Btutorial#entry1749460

Well done Ed, for a first time stacking you've got a great result, much better than I managed to begin with and a moon transit as well!! As Stuart says give AutoStakkert!2 (AS!2) a go for stacking then Registax 6 for wavelets. I've never used the Mallincam although I am familiar with them as i do a little bit of video astronomy - it would be helpful to know how many frames per second they can capture?  :smiley:

Wavelets combine sharpening and noise reduction of the image after it has been aligned and stacked. Simply using the sharpen function in a image editing program wont produce the same results.  Registax wavelets are the most commonly used function after stacking frames.

As Stuart says wavelets help you bring out a bit more detail in your images so once you have a stacked image (usually TIFF or PNG file if you use AS!2 for stacking) put it into Registax and it should open on the wavelets tab but if not it's the third tab along - Align > Stack > Wavelet. Once there you really just need to experiment with the 6 sliders to see what brings out the best detail generally start with the lower sliders and see how you go.

JamesF done a great beginners guide to AS!2 a while back and also included info on PIPP and Registax (for wavelets) here's a link - the guide is for Saturn but the basic process is the same although I'd recommend using 50 or 100 alignment point (AP) size in AS!2 for Jupiter.  :smiley:

HTH

Steve

I eventually want a dedicated ccd camera and am partial to Starlight Xpress for some reason. ( I have a lodeStar mono for guiding ) I think monochrome and filter wheel is too complicated for my memory issues (PTSD) so what would be the best COLOR ccd camera to take best advantage of the 11" EdgeHD Willing to save for better but the sky is not the Limit... $4000 is my upper but hoping $1,500 - $3000 budget. Also will use on a Lunt Solar scope I am saving for.

Thats an excellent tutorial by James I'd not seen before.

The ZWO ASI120MM & QHY5L-II cams are very good ED as they both have the same cmos sensor with very fast frame rates. I have both the colour & mono QHY cams which I combine rather than using a RGB filter set.

Archived