NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Ha with a PST and QHY5 or QHY5-II?

JamesF

It struck me the other night that both of these cameras have 1/2" sensors and should therefore manage a PST image on a single frame.  The question is, has anyone tried it?

Noise on the QHY5 might be an issue and perhaps sensitivity for them both, but it's not as if we're talking about a faint image.

I'd give it a whirl with the QHY5 myself, but I've seen no evidence recently that the Sun hasn't been swallowed by a giant intergalactic turtle.

James

Hi James,

My very first Ha solar image was with a QHY5. It is recognisable as a prominence but it was in my very early days of solar imaging. You would get better results with the QHY5-II, less banding and less grainy.

http://solarchat.natca.net/index.php/en/this-is-solar-chat/6-this-is-solarchat-/51443-2nd-hand-pst-first-light#51443

I have seen quite a few very good captures, on here and elsewhere using the QHY5.

Ian

I got this using my QHY5 and PST. I managed to get it to focus without a barlow so it does do a neat full frame.

Sun 06/04/13

If you remove the 1.25" nose piece form a QHY5 there is a 1.25" filter thread around the sensor window. I removed the lens element out of a rubbish 0.5x focal reducer i've got and then screwed it's now empty case to this thread. The camera now sits deep enough in the PST to focus.

Archived