NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dumbbell in 2s - 80s

nytecam

Despite a bright quarter moon three good night in a row at beginning of week but gave Wednesday a miss :Envy:   From Monday night here's M27 in 2s exp and 20s and 80s soon after dusk  [shown in reverse order].  Don't normally expect to do summer objects this late in year - hope it's of interest.  :police:

Used classic Meade 30cm f/2.8 LX200 SCT [via f/3.3 FR] +SX Lodestar-C camera from garden obsy :grin:

post-21003-0-45792300-1386925760.jpg

post-21003-0-19968000-1386925783.jpg

post-21003-0-25903500-1386925815.jpg

Single subs - Wow! Especially at low elevation.     Perhaps getting a bit bloated at 80s, but great star colour and depth in the nebula.     A dozen of those 20s exposures would stack up very nicely - would be interesting to see a single sub comparison between the mono and colour loadstars on M27, though this may have to wait until next year.

Single subs - Wow! Especially at low elevation.     Perhaps getting a bit bloated at 80s, but great star colour and depth in the nebula.     A dozen of those 20s exposures would stack up very nicely - would be interesting to see a single sub comparison between the mono and colour loadstars on M27, though this may have to wait until next year.

Thanks Jake - these are 20s subs eg 1x20s and 4x20s=80s.  Running at f/2.8 + my London LP and in certain directions like over our neighbours houses early evening, I'd saturate in 80s exp ! :eek:

Thanks Jake - these are 20s subs eg 1x20s and 4x20s=80s.  Running at f/2.8 + my London LP and in certain directions like over our neighbours houses early evening, I'd saturate in 80s exp ! :eek:

Sorry Maurice, I should have looked more closely - the lower noise and lack of sky glow were good indicators ;)

I think I was doing 20 and 30 second mono RGB subs on M27 with my 200P/QHY5L-IIM @ F4.5, the single subs looked a lot closer to your 2sec exposures!

I would like to have a go at longer focal length next year when all the kit is running nicely, but this will be really pushing the HEQ5.

Hi Maurice

Amazing that you can still capture M27 at this time of year!

What spacing do you have between your reducer and the CCD - based on a quick experiment with Oculars in Stellarium it looks like you're operating at about 850mm focal length or F3.4.

I put in the details for the Lodestar and created a telescope with a focal length that achieved roughly the same FoV as your 20s image - mind you my measurements could be wrong.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Maurice. Amazing that you can still capture M27 at this time of year! What spacing do you have between your reducer and the CCD - based on a quick experiment with Oculars in Stellarium it looks like you're operating at about 850mm focal length or F3.4.

I put in the details for the Lodestar and created a telescope with a focal length that achieved roughly the same FoV as your 20s image - mind you my measurements could be wrong. Clear skies. Paul

Hi Paul - I make efl = 850mm / 305mm (aperture) = f/2. 786 eg f/2.8 ! I've not measured the FR - sensor distance - just play until I'm happy with fov and scope 'speed'. f/2.8 needs good flat to even out the field illumination and mine is close but imperfect :-)

Hi Maurice 

Just realised that I calculated focal reduction not focal ratio (850/2500=0.34)!! 

That's Fridays for you :)

Interestingly I run my SDC 435 at a similar F-ratio on my C8 (F2.7, FL 540mm) - no science, just used the spacers I had to hand.

Clear skies

Paul

Despite a bright quarter moon three good night in a row at beginning of week but gave Wednesday a miss :Envy:   From Monday night here's M27 in 2s exp and 20s and 80s soon after dusk  [shown in reverse order].  Don't normally expect to do summer objects this late in year - hope it's of interest.  :police:

Used classic Meade 30cm f/2.8 LX200 SCT [via f/3.3 FR] +SX Lodestar-C camera from garden obsy :grin:

Hello Maurice,

How are these images taken?  Are they screen grabs, photos of your monitor or have they been enhanced in anyway?

Cheers

Karl

Hello Maurice,

How are these images taken?  Are they screen grabs, photos of your monitor or have they been enhanced in anyway?

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl – the Dumbbell frame-grab show [lower left] a raw image seen on screen in a continuous 20sec exposure loop – no filters, flat or dark calibration frames used.  The same tweaked image

takes a few seconds longer.  The lower pics show the single USB lead from Lodestar-C cam to laptop - no other power supplies, cables etc necessary and with minimal power comsumption the cam keeps cool so no fans etc  :cool: 

Lodestar-C spec @ http://www.sxccd.com/lodestar-c and my sample DSO page @ http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/eyelode2.html

Astro-videocams and astro-CCD-cams are both well suited to “viewing” DSOs in brief exposures.   I choose that latter and get a buzz seeing faint galaxies appear on the laptop under my light polluted skies.  I don’t seek perfection but like to “see” a lot of different objects in an evening and have a record to share with fellow SGL enthusiasts here - my cam is ready made for that. :police: 

post-21003-0-69756200-1387212446_thumb.j

Hi Karl – the Dumbbell frame-grab show [lower left] a raw image seen on screen in a continuous 20sec exposure loop – no filters, flat or dark calibration frames used.  The same tweaked image

takes a few seconds longer.  The lower pics show the single USB lead from Lodestar-C cam to laptop - no other power supplies, cables etc necessary and with minimal power comsumption the cam keeps cool so no fans etc  :cool: 

Lodestar-C spec @ http://www.sxccd.com/lodestar-c and my sample DSO page @ http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/eyelode2.html

Astro-videocams and astro-CCD-cams are both well suited to “viewing” DSOs in brief exposures.   I choose that latter and get a buzz seeing faint galaxies appear on the laptop under my light polluted skies.  I don’t seek perfection but like to “see” a lot of different objects in an evening and have a record to share with fellow SGL enthusiasts here - my cam is ready made for that. :police: 

Thanks Maurice, looks like a great camera and you are obviously getting some fantastic results with it.

Cheers

Karl

Archived