Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon 7 or 10x50 older eyes

Swedeman2013

Hi, I assume with reference to your age, you are thinking about exit pupil which will be 7mm in the 7x (50/7) and 5mm in the 10x50 (50/10). As you get older the ability of your eye to dilate (dark adapted) reduces. I'm 61 and I work on a max of about 5.5mm. So the 10x50s are a better bet in that respect - but for astronomy I think the 10x50s are better anyway. Have a look at this link.

http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/13

Exit pupil should not be your only consideration though (I hope) and I personally found 7x50 easier to use because of wider FOV and less handling (shaking) difficulties.

I have both 7x50 and 10x50 and 7x50 is decidedly my favourite (YMMV though).

For reference I am older than yourself, but despite usual interweb wisdom the individual variations between people are greater than average age effect, so I wouldn't be all that concerned with actual age - you might actually be better than someone much younger...

• 2 weeks later...

Having reached 57 I decided on 8x40 having previously used 10x50 and 7x50. I find 10x50 a bit shaky now and although I love my Russian 7x50's I too miss out on the extra light owing to the big exit pupil. 8x40 has the same sized exit pupil as 10x50 so they are as bright but less shaky owing to the lower magnification and are also lighter in weight. Mine are Nikon Action and I like them. Not perfect but good for the money (I paid £67)

Archived