NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First post, can't choose!

Hi all,

First post. Nice to meet you all. I've read loads of posts on this forum and you all seem to give brilliant help and sort most peoples problems out.

So i'm hoping you can help me out too!

I love a bit of astrophotography, though i've only done camera on a tripod stuff so far with stacking and getting some great results. But now I want to go a step further and get some shots of the smaller and fainter objects.

Problem is, I can't choose what scope to go for. Every time I think 'that's the one, i'm gunna get that..' I find a post on here to say it's not suitable as the tracking is poor because the mount can't support the scope.

I started on a skywatcher explorer 150p on an eq3-2 mount. But soon found posts that said the mount isn't man enough for the scope. So then I moved up to the 200p on an e

Ok, lets try that again as my pc just had a hissy fit! Sorry!

Hi all,

First post. Nice to meet you all. I've read loads of posts on this forum and you all seem to give brilliant help and sort most peoples problems out.

I love a bit of astrophotography, though i've only done camera on a tripod stuff so far with stacking and getting some great results. But now I want to go a step further and get some shots of the smaller and fainter objects.

Problem is, I can't choose what scope to go for. Every time I think 'that's the one, i'm gunna get that..' I find a post on here to say it's not suitable as the tracking is poor because the mount can't support the scope.

I started on a skywatcher explorer 150p on an eq3-2 mount. But soon found posts that said the mount isn't man enough for the scope. So then I moved up to the 200p on an eq5 mount ( I should point out that all the mounts I mention are syn scan versions). But then reading on here I find that it too isn't man enough for the scope.

On top of that, you can't seem to get a eq5 mount coupled with a 150p scope. So, buying them seperately then works out a fair bit more money than just getting the bigger scope (200p) on the same mount. Confused! Why is a smaller scope more expensive than the bigger one?!

I feel like i'm rambling.. so I guess I just need to work out the pro's and con's of each option really.. Help!

Here's the weights for that mount:

• Carrying capacity 11kg (24lbs) (not including counterweights)
  • Tripod Weight 5.5kg (12.1lbs)
  • Mount Weight 6kg (13.2lbs)
  • Counterweight 5kg (11lbs)
  • Total Weight: 15.7kg (34.5lbs)

I used to have the 150P on EQ3-2 mount which was fine for observing though it suffered from vibration and needed a few seconds damping after every movement. The 150PDS has a dual focuser and is better tuned for imaging - but there's no significant difference weight wise between the two ota's. The EQ5 Synscan will handle it fine.

It will also handle the 200P for observing fine - but imaging with the 200P/EQ5 would have to be on a very calm night - and would be very sensitive to any vibration. Hth :)

That's exactly what I wanted to hear :)

I did wonder if the 200p, being 100mm focal length, would be too much and mean struggling to get some targets into the field of view?

I live in Kent, and there is a lot of light pollution. So presumably i'd be better off with the 6" over the 8", or does it not work like that?

Hi all,

I started on a skywatcher explorer 150p on an eq3-2 mount. But soon found posts that said the mount isn't man enough for the scope. So then I moved up to the 200p on an e

What scope you need very much depends on what  targets you want to image and what camera or more accurately what size sensor you have. For planetary a scope with a long focal length is ideal, for wide field imaging of the nebulea most people go for  an ED  as a   minimum   or if you have deep pockets then an APO triplet with a fastF ratio and short focal length Newtonians are popular due to their low cost the focal length could require a large sensor for widefield imaging or a DSLR. There is also the question of the mount and guiding set up for long exposure DSO imaging.

A.G

You could consider this. Spend it all on a mount !!

put your camera on it, use the tracking to get long exposures. Then add guiding and a telescope tube later.

That assumes you have a suitable zoom camera lens with your current camera. If not, then no it's not an option. Just an idea, because if you seriously want to image the mount will be key and could cost your budget or the best part of it.

Well my situation is, astrophotography, or astronomy even, is my 4th hobby. I'm interested in anything interesting. I go carp fishing, I race mountain bikes, I love photography, and of course astronomy. 

So, this means spreading costs across all four hobbies, with cycling being the main one. 

I am not expecting to get incredibly clear. stunning results from taking photo's of the sky. It is more about the challenge of getting a photo of something that is just mind blowing, and knowing that I took that photo.

I'll be using a DSLR, a Canon 500d. If I can hook a CCD up or even a webcam then i'll do that with what funds I can get hold of.

Spending the full budget on the mount is a really good idea, though my biggest lens is a relatively cheap 50-250mm lens. (not even L-series!)

I'm building up a picture of what I shold be purchasing now thanks to all of your comments.

More research to do before buying anything but the 150pds on an eq5 syn scan could be the one.

Thanks for all of the help!

"I live in Kent, and there is a lot of light pollution. So presumably i'd be better off with the 6" over the 8", or does it not work like that?"

Smaller apertures are affected just as much as larger apertures by light pollution - is how it works I'm afraid. For any scope the best thing by far is to take it to as dark a site as possible. :)

if you can stretch to something like a 150PDS on an HEQ5 you'd really be in business. Second hand might be an option for achieving that. Do keep in mind there are other accessories you might (will) need etc and this would likely just be the start of your expenditure :) Still not to put you off you could achieve some great results with something like the 150PDS.

A good starting point might also be to get a book, like Every photon counts. I've not read this myself yet but it's going on the Christmas list as everyone swears by it.

Crikey, when I first wanted to upgrade from my skyhawk 114p, I was looking at a dob. The 150p skywatcher to be exact, which was just over £200, and I was thinking that the 200p version was too expensive. Now it looks like i'm spending nigh on a grand!

I just don't want to buy a scope and mount, and be dissapointed because the images i'm getting are just a complete waste of time.

Just seen the Celestron CG5 GT is on sale on FLO, could be an option..?

I started with an eq5, I put  dual motors and converted the guide scope after reading QM's thread (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/133187-guiding-conversion-project-for-200p-and-eq5/), it was a lot of work,but thats half the fun as far as I am concerned. I found I learnt a lot going through the process and it gave me a good grounding without expensive kit masking things that would bite me later on.  You have the syn scan so you have the motors, why not look at converting the guide scope which would be much cheaper, and may even suit your needs at least in the shorter term.  That would free some of that cash to spend on light pollution filters.

Cheers

Ross

You could consider this. Spend it all on a mount !!

put your camera on it, use the tracking to get long exposures. Then add guiding and a telescope tube later.

That assumes you have a suitable zoom camera lens with your current camera. If not, then no it's not an option. Just an idea, because if you seriously want to image the mount will be key and could cost your budget or the best part of it.

This is my current plan. Wait until after Christmas and try and pick up a second hand HEQ5 or EQ6, and then put my DSLR with a 300mm lens on it until I can save up for a 200pds.

Hi

I started with an eq2-2 pro and gradually added / upgraded.

My current imaging scope is a WO Megrez 72.

Even a small doublet like that struggled on the eq3-2 for imaging (but that was probably due to all the "extras" I had hanging off the back :grin: )

After my dec motor failed during a recent star camp, I completely gave in to the dark side and purchased an neq6pro.

The Megrez is a lot happier now.

I always read posts saying "get the best mount" but tried to keep going with what I had and probably ploughed a bit too much money into something not up to it.

I think your plan to wait until after Christmas is a good idea.

If you can wait a bit longer there will be stargazers live on the telly again so there may be some special deals with retailers.

Or if you can REALLY wait (until after the Stargazers Live efect has gone away) there'll be a glut of 2nd hand items from people who decided that astronomy was not really for them after all.

A few options there.

Neil

I think that my best bet is to go for the 150pds on an eq5. I (like someone else mentioned) wont be getting another scope after this one.

Perhaps once im up and running ill get some pictures up to show results.

Could be a little while yet though!

Archived