NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cold and Green Ghosts

jetstream

Last night I went out to get a few hours observing in,its been a while.M42 never ceases to amaze me,with its green marbled texture in and around the core.The ES 18mm provided an excellent rendition of this magnificant object,it is turning out to be a great EP.After watching Jupiter,with the GRS nicely visible,the VX10 was turned to M81 & M82,visible just above the Spruce trees.After being absorbed observing these two favorites,the view got noticeably worse.Pondering the situation,I walked into the next clearing,only to see the first Northern lights show of the year.Spectacular, showing as a vivid green strip across the Northern sky,with pillars and sheets draping down,coming toward me,away....ghosts if you will-this is a sight to behold.I forgot all about the telescope for about 45 minutes

Sounds a really good night.

It seems I've forgotten about my scope too, its been weeks since I've been out due to my shifts and the rubbish weather here  :sad:

In a similar conundrum, for various reasons I have not had the opportunity to get out with the scope for what seems like ages. Therefore reports such as Gerry's are quite consoling.

Yes, an aurora can really mess up DSO-viewing :smiley:. I get distracted by them from time to time in Northumberland. Always a nice sight, though.

I'm fairly sure I wouldn't mind my DSO views getting messed up by a view of the Aurora  :p

I've never managed to see the Aurora once in my life, and that's including trips up north to my inlaws not far from John O Groat's in Caithness. My visits up there seem to be just after.... or just before it makes an appearance. I'm jinxed I tell ya  :grin:

Archived