Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Refractor scope with the same SLT mount

Kirscovitch

Tax time in the states is almost upon us. Should be getting a return instead of paying in. I'm looking for a fairly decent but cheap refractor that will mount on my Nexstar SLT tripod. 

Everything I've looked at so far comes with the same mount I have. If I could just get the scope without the mount I'm sure I'd save myself some cash but they always seem to come in a package deal.

Any suggestions where to look for just the scope? Something that will mount straight up or require minimal modifications?

Personally, I'd stick with the 130SLT for a little while longer, Matt. You'll need a pretty decent frac of large aperture/large cost to wow you more than your current scope does. Don't have a wandering eye so early in the relationship... Particularly if you're going to have it wear your ex's shoes :)

Well I was thinking that I would like to get into some imaging. Maybe it's just my newbie brain but seems like fracs are better or maybe easier for imaging?

I know a lot of guys around the SGL site have both. From what I have been reading it just seems that newts and dob's are good for viewing and light gathering and dso's but fracs seem to rise to the top for imaging with planets and such.

Hell I don't know. I think since jumping in to astronomy I try to absorb too much information too fast and my brain is getting burned out lol.

A frac would be nice to have though for terrestrial viewing too.

The SLT mount, being altaz, is really only suitable for planetary imaging. You need an equatorial for deep sky AP but there, yes, you are right, APO or ED refractors do give the best effort to wow ratio.

If you are sticking with your mount, why not look for 127mm Maksutov and a modified webcam and try your hand at planetary imaging?

Hi Matt,

I wouldn't recommend jumping into imaging straight away. Take your time, learn the sky...enjoy it and then decide. Plus imaging kit is pretty expensive.

It's commonly known that refractors are great on planets and that's true. But there's few things consider...first you need at least a medium size refractor 4" + to start resolving good details on planets. And second a cheap achromatic refractor will produce blue halos around bright objects (achromatic aberration). Corrected refractors (apos) are however a planet killers but it'll cost you a kidney to buy them. I think Skywatcher Evostar 80ED is the cheapest 80mm ED refractor on the market. I had this one and it's great to be honest.

Also bear in mind that refractors 127mm plus will start to get incrementally big and heavy. It's very rare to find ones over 6" on the astro market. I think a lot of people have them manufactured to their own specifications. Astro Physics I believe do that.

Anyway. reflectors once cooled and collimated they can produce stunning views of planets and DSOs alike. And they tend to be of massive apertures without necessarily breaking your bank or your back.

Honestly mate, if a frac is taking your fancy, grab one. I'm sure you will eventually, so no harm getting one sooner rather than later. I've just jumped on the refractor bandwagon myself of late and love them. I don't image though... Think I just like collecting scopes :)

A word of caution though... if imaging, you definitely won't be wanting to do it on your current scopes mount. It won't cope at all. You'll need at least a somewhat decent EQ mount. This, combined with a new scope, isn't likely to be considered cheap. I'm sure there are others, with tonnes more experience than me, who will guide you in the right direction though. And I'm sure you'll be recommended to buy an ED80. They're great little scopes and renowned for being great for imaging.

Best of luck. I can see you've been bitten by the bug like I was ;)

The SLT mount, being altaz, is really only suitable for planetary imaging. You need an equatorial for deep sky AP but there, yes, you are right, APO or ED refractors do give the best effort to wow ratio.

If you are sticking with your mount, why not look for 127mm Maksutov and a modified webcam and try your hand at planetary imaging?

I really must learn to type faster :)

I've been bitten by the bug alright lol. Mostly I think this was just a what if post but I have been considering options. Right now I would just like to get some good images of the moon and probably Jupiter and Saturn. Not for publication in some fancy astronomy magazine but just to show family and friends. I did just get an Orion 5mp Starshoot camera but haven't had a chance to even take it out of the box yet.

Just a newb getting too excited I guess!

I've been bitten by the bug alright lol. Mostly I think this was just a what if post but I have been considering options. Right now I would just like to get some good images of the moon and probably Jupiter and Saturn. Not for publication in some fancy astronomy magazine but just to show family and friends. I did just get an Orion 5mp Starshoot camera but haven't had a chance to even take it out of the box yet.

Just a newb getting too excited I guess!

Everybody been there I guess...yet more and more exciting stuff to discover on the way! :)

You sound like me lol just recently got the bug after getting my 10x50's, been spending hours reading up everything from planets, deep sky to scopes and mounts, already got plans for an orion xt8 dob and also an orion 80ED frac, I can't say no to the ED after what I've read about them

I'd keep the scope tube as short as possible on the SLT mount - it won't be very stable with a longer tube such as a 102mm F/10 refractor on board. The tube length, rather than just it's weight, makes a massive difference to the stability of mounts. 

With this in mind a maksutov-cassegrain or even a schmidt-cassegrain would give you a useful focal length for planetary imaging in a compact tube. You will need some dew prevention gear such as a heated dew band and / or a dew shield with these designs though.

Archived