NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher SWA or Celestron XCel series?

Butchless1

Hi All

Im now looking at upgrading my eyepieces and was wondering if anyone has any opinions which way I should err or any impartial comments? Will I get the 'bang for buck with either of these'?

Im looking at the sub £100 area as I have a 130P and a 90mm Mak so Im working slowly up the equipment stakes but its clear I think the scopes are fine for visual and really its the eyepieces that can make such a difference

Any guidance appreciated

Nick

The SWA's look pretty big, although they have the advantage of being 1.25" and 2" fittings.

The advantage of the X-Cels is the focal lengths: 5, 7, 9, 12 as opposed to 5, 8, 13.

Not sure the X-Cel 2.3mm will be much use, the SWA 3.5 may be.

The SWA's have more eye relief if you wear glasses.

Bit odd but not heard very much about the SWA's and I would have expected more, simply owing to the shape if nothing else, neither read anything here or on CN.

I would likely go for the X-Cels, simply for the better choice of focal lengths at the smaller focal lengths. As I have no information concerning the optical performence it would be on that basis. Which is not really the best consideration but is useful.

I'm more than happy with the X-Cel LX's (although I havn't looked through a premium EP) and the eye relief is great if you wear glasses (as I do). Upgrading/choosing EP's isn't an easy task. But I read alot and got some great advice here on SGL decided to try the 25 and 12mm (or possibly 9mm, not quite sure) X-Cel LX's when I had the Heritage 130P. Liked them so much that I got the rest except the 2.3mm the next few months. If possible, try before you buy. Choice of EP's is a very personal thing. You're likely to get lots of advice and opinions soon.

Hi All

Im now looking at upgrading my eyepieces and was wondering if anyone has any opinions which way I should err or any impartial comments? Will I get the 'bang for buck with either of these'?

Im looking at the sub £100 area as I have a 130P and a 90mm Mak so Im working slowly up the equipment stakes but its clear I think the scopes are fine for visual and really its the eyepieces that can make such a difference

Any guidance appreciated

Nick

To me these SWA types are way over weight for 70 deg eyepiece - you could find them giving  balance issues with your telescope. Think about putting a bag a sugar in your focuser !

andrew

I have owned the set of Xcels from 5mm upward and I would not hesitate to recommend them especially as you can get them for around £40 second hand :smiley:

I have not tried the SWA's thus I am not in the position to make a call.

It would not be fair to compare either to my premium eyepieces as they really are a different animal :grin: and a very different price.

I have one Celestron X-Cel LX - the 25mm. It's a nice eyepiece for deep sky viewing (I bought it especially to view the Horse head Nebula with an H-Beta filter). I have found though that there is a large lens in the optical design that is right on the focal plane of the eyepiece so any dust on that lens is shown in sharp relief if you are viewing a bright extended object such as the moon. I've tried cleaning this lens very carefully but it's incredibly sensitive to any dust whatsoever. I don't know if this is a feature of the other focal lengths and of course it does not affect deep sky viewing at all. Otherwise the eyepiece seems well put together and is comfortable to use.

Thanks for the valued comments all....

There is definately a sway to the XCels, but it seems that not so many people have used the SWA.....

Secretary of my local Astro club has offered to lend me a view through his Xcels, so will check they are right for me...(and my glasses) the cost saving alone means its more wife friendly an option....

Cheers

Nick

The Skywatcher SWA range have only been around for a few months - there might not be many out there with owners to get the feedback. Also the 70 degree eyepiece niche is full of established alternative options so it's going to be quite a hard one for Skywatcher to make an impression in I think.

Archived